Can’t find a letter tidy to fit door!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a new timber front door and a the letter plate has been fitted to the outside, however, I now need to sort out a letter tidy for the inside, to finish it and prevent draughts.

The problem is that I can’t find one to fit, because the bolts holding the letter plate are sticking out too far - probably the normal distance, but that doesn’t help me.

The aperture is approx 253mm x 62mm, but the bolts holding the letter plate are approx 276mm apart (centre to centre), and stick out about 8 or 9mm.

Where can I get a decent quality, nice looking letter tidy (preferably draught proof) to fit?

Photo attached.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 25EA23A0-773A-4D94-B585-9A98EC0B46CF.jpeg
    25EA23A0-773A-4D94-B585-9A98EC0B46CF.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Make one from 8mm ply? After all, this is a DIY forum...

You can take the nuts off, enlarge the holes enough for the nuts to recess into them.

This sort of thing

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...er-tidy-plate-355x125mm-polished-brass-438559

They come in various sizes, that one is extra-wide.

Usually has metal side plates that space the flap off the door a bit.

I suspect the fixings you have are M6. You could wind the studs out and use a screw with a flatter head.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that’s a good idea, but the door is hollow and has foam in the centre, so if I try to recess the bolt, I don’t think it’ll hold.
However, using a flatter nut might work!
I’ll try that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back