Can a blocked air vent cause penetrating damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I moved house in May to a 1940's(ish) mid terrace cottage and all has been well until a few weeks ago when the rains/cold came.

In the corner of one room I have a damp/wet patch on a NE facing wall. It is not mold but I do have a little mold around the windows and in a different corner. I know mold can be caused by a lack of ventilation.

On the other side of the damp area is an air vent (Wire Mesh) but it is blocked on the inside.

I have been all round the roof and can't see a leak and see no wet areas in the loft.

I have removed a small section of the celing plaster and it looks damp/wet on the bottom(in the bedroom) but not on the top (in the loft).

Could this be caused by cold air coming in through the air vent and having nowhere to go?

Or is water penetrating somewhere and I can't find it?

Gutters are clear but the overhang of the tiles is not quite long enough but the exterior wall does feel dry.

There used to be a chimney in this area which my neighbour has told me was removed a few years back for this reason so i think the last owners may have been battling this for some time with no luck.

HELP!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Additional:
The old chimney has not been capped. Under the roof tiles there is just the chimney hole going straight down, this backs onto the damp area.

Could it be cold air coming down the chimney? or moisture? Should i "cap it" some how?

Thanks

a blocked vent cannot cause damp

to much moisture in the air condensing on cold surfaces can
an open vent can however help remove excess moisture from any source that gets into the room air

so in answer to your question a blocked up vent may allow damp to show up or get worse but will not be the cause
you should allow free air movement within a chimnie with a vent top and bottom

So could it be the old removed chimney? Could I cap it and/or stuff a roll of loft insualtion down it?

Or would I be better drilling a hole through the chimney on the inside and putting a vent in?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back