Can a Bulldog Gen2 TRV be recalibrated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have fitted the above TRV about two years ago and it has been working fine. More recently, I have found it opening at a higher temperature than I normally set it at in the Summer (1).

Can the TRV be recalibrated (i.e. separate the two parts to adjust what the head reads for a given temperate) to extend it's useful life?

Is the valve head wax or water filled?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
TRV's are not really serviceable, certainly nothing in them that's adjustable I don't think.

If I remember they are wax filled.

Thanks Madrab, I guess I have a wax leak in the TRV head. I'll see if Pegler want to replace it.

I have temporarily corrected a TRV problem in reverse, just to keep a system running until the summer when a permanent fix could be effected.

In this case the TRV was closing too early, so I made a thin cardboard washer to go between the valve and head. The effect was that it lifted the head slightly, meaning that the room had to be slightly warmer before it closed. In theory then, it might be possible to file some plastic off the base of the head to make it close earlier. But a new one is really the way to go, especially if it does have a leak, as it will only get worse.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back