Faulty TRV??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved to a new house and a few radiators don't seem to have any temperature adjustment. If i turn the TRV to off they turn off (cold) but as soon as the TRV is on (even if on frost protect) the radiators are on full and the rooms get too hot. How can i test the TRV's? Is the TRV head the clever bit or is the temperature sensor in the pipework (i.e. can i just replace the head and not have to drain the whole system). Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The head - first make sure they're all fixed firmly onto the body.

Tried this last night. A couple were loose and i tightened them. Put all on frost protect setting and checked them this morning. 2 were cold so potentially fixed but 2 were still on full. Any more suggestions??

make sure the trv heads are in the fully open possition before tightening to valve bodies.

Sponsored Links
Tried everything. Took all TRV's off. Set them all to 5. Put them all back on tight. All radiators still on full irrelevant of TRV setting.

take the heads off affected rads, take a pair of pliers and slowly slowly gental does it manipulate the pin.
careful now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO i really have to replace the whole part or will just replacing the head work?? (i'm trying to avoid draining the whole system) Is the head the 'intelligent' bit or is it the body??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back