Can a combi boiler be located in a garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - I am considering getting an old boiler replaced with a new combi (Vokera Unica 32HE). I'd be very grateful if anyone could advise me if it is OK to install such a boiler in a garage. The garage is not detached from the house and is not used to park a vehicle, it has an up and over type door and an opening window - the garage has one outside wall.

We may in the future consider converting the garage into another room.

Also grateful for thoughts concerning reliability and quality of the Vokera Unica. My thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
No problems with a combi in a garage as long as all the regs are followed as if it is in the main property, eg flue termination, drains etc.

The only possible concerns would be the length of HW pipe run from the garage and whether the boiler had a frost stat built in, preferably a 2 stage frost stat.

Cannot comment on the new Vokeras yet as I am still awaiting training on them.

No problems with a combi in a garage as long as all the regs are followed as if it is in the main property, eg flue termination, drains etc.

The only possible concerns would be the length of HW pipe run from the garage and whether the boiler had a frost stat built in, preferably a 2 stage frost stat.

Cannot comment on the new Vokeras yet as I am still awaiting training on them.

g4u- As you're no doubt used to dis/re-assembling E/tecs, you'll need a lie down after your training course.

Thanks for replying Dave. From my pespective it makes sense to locate the boiler in the garage as the gas and electric meters are in there, the gas supply pipe to the existing boiler runs within 1m of where I'd hope to have the new boiler installed and I'd free up a large cupboard in the kitchen.

The far end wall of the garage is the dividing wall between garage and kitchen. On the kitchen side of the wall is a cupboard (floor to ceiling) which houses the existing old floor standing boiler (Ideal Mexico).

The new boiler would be about 3.5m from the mains water inlet in the kitchen and 3.5m from the kitchen sink, the bathroom is located above the back half of the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Yeah garage is fine and the Unica is not a bad little boiler for the money. It has a very clever design of heat exchanger unique ( I believe) to this boiler.

Ive fitted a few Unicas and not had any bother thus far.

Likewise fitted four or five and commissioned 10 or so for Stately Albion in their log cabbins.

not had a single problem ater i got them installed and working. Except from a small gripe that quite a few of them seem to have flawed castings on the filling loop which means expensive plumbers time hanging around all day waiting for it to fill. This has happened to me so often that I just put an external filling loop in anyway.

had one infant failure. PCB Vokera fixed it next day. that can happen to any boiler. Had one other with wrong jumpers selected on pcb. That is unusual.

your plans seem good if you lag the dhw and flow and return pipewok and cold mains if you don't fit an external frost stat. if you lag all pipes don't bother boilerprotects itself.

benefit of this boiler it doesn't require autobypass has an internal autobypass which is stated as sole bypass requirement by manufacturer.

Yeah garage is fine and the Unica is not a bad little boiler for the money. It has a very clever design of heat exchanger unique ( I believe) to this boiler.

What is clever about it? I haven't looked at this boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back