Can a Combi Boiler be Turned Off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Vaillant EcoTec Pro 28.
We are planning on going away this summer and want to turn off the Water and Gas supply.
I have had a gas leak previously although on the pipe entering the property.

What is the correct process for turning off the boiler and gas?

Will turning off the gas supply cause issues with the boiler firing up after being off for a couple of weeks?

Sponsored Links
Well the gas and water is off to the boiler when you buy it! I can’t see any reason why not to turn off the gas and water off if you’re going away for a long time.

1. Turn the boiler off electrically. There will be a fused connection unit, or a 13amp socket. Switch off / switch off and withdraw plug respectively.
2. Turn off the gas at the gas meter. There should be a largish metal handle. Should be moved downwards 90 degrees to turn gas off.
3. Very unlikely to have problems relighting on return. Either keep trying, or, if you have a gas hob, run that for a few seconds.

We only have a gas boiler, no gas hob, oven or fire place.
I had read the pump can seize but sureley that would be months not weeks?

Sponsored Links
Your pump on that boiler can seize, but can also fail electrically, resulting in an error code. However if it’s been problem free then you’re unlikely to have issues with it. It can also depend on age and if the pump has been replaced previously.

I had problems with my old combi when I turned it off and shut the gas for 4 weeks.
On my return the fan had gone.
Then again the diverter valve stuck on another occasion.
I was told to leave it on with open gas supply because every so often they automatically start to avoid parts getting stuck.

I was told to leave it on with open gas supply because every so often they automatically start to avoid parts getting stuck.
Some do, some don’t. It depends on the boiler make and model. Intergas boilers we fit now have anti pump seize technology so the pump kicks in periodically. However a boiler without this function, no pre-heat function or tuners off, then if there’s no demands for anything it’ll sit there idle.

Only issues we've had so far are mainly water leaks from the condensate but more recently a valve inside causing central heating pressure to also drop.

When turning the water off is it ok to open all the hot taps to drain the hot water?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I've read some conflicting advice. Some say turn off the boiler on it's panel and unplug/ turn off at the mains power others say just turn the boiler off and leave it connected to mains power?

I've read some conflicting advice. Some say turn off the boiler on it's panel and unplug/ turn off at the mains power others say just turn the boiler off and leave it connected to mains power?
Neither makes a difference unless you’re safe isolating it. Both ways would kill the power to a boiler, for what you need it for anyway.

Always turn water off if your hoping away in the winter but keep your boiler switched on either thermostat set around 10 degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back