Can a layman demolish a double garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

we need to demolish a double garage, and a pretty sizeable concrete patio.
To save some money (and to have some fun) I had considered renting a demolition hammer and a mobile platform from HSS, then have some folks come by and throw it all in a skip to take away.
Is that realistic? I understand the core theory (obviously, start from the roof and work your way down) so interested in your opinon on whether I could get the garage and/or the patio reduced to rubble in a weekend.

Cheers
Scott

Sponsored Links
Ummm.... but then the walls and roof fall on your head, surely?

Sponsored Links
If it's timber frame just make sure when you cut the rafters/trusses the walls don't collapse on yer :LOL: .

You may be as well with a big pick axe and lump hammer to break the patio / hardcore / slab up. Get the pick under the slab and try and lift it just enough to create a "void" with the sub and give it a reet good whack with the lump hammer.:cool:

A double garage and a patio will not fit in one skip.

Remove all timber aspects i.e. roof doors windows, shelves etc then burn 'em.

Pile the rubble etc up for a grab wagon to take away. Probably take a couple of loads.

You may need a large breaker for the base and patio.

We would use a mini digger for a majority of the demolition work including patio and base.

Get a mini digger in. They're very cheap to hire, will save you all the heavy lifting, it'll be a lot safer to demolish. You may need a breaker too if the patio conrete is thicker than say 2 or 3 inches.

Thanks all.

I must say that the thought of hiring a mini digger is much more exciting than hiring a demo-hammer. Who cares if it's more expensive than having the builders do it? :evil:

A digger and very heavy sledge is my combo of choice for breaking up a slab, similar idea to hotrods method of use the digger to ever so slightly lift the slab and then the other man smash it with the sledge.

My advice would be hire the biggest digger you can fit as a 3 ton is easier to drive and more powerful than a micro. Also remember when demolish things the bucket pull/twist is much stronger than the arm.

Hi,
I'm a vet nurse and my husband is a (early) retired cop, I'm forty something and he's fifty something else and we took down our three bedroom house and put it on a pallet. We used the plateful of pie and mash method, ie we started at the top and worked down and kept the first and last brick. Go for it! :D

Thanks for the advice, folks. Will look into digger hire.

If Ladybrickie and her hubby can knock down a house, I hope I can do a job on the garage :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back