Can a second meter be installed on single phase supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Need some more advice.
I need to install another shower in my premises.
Following your advice i had my power consumption checked and i cant fit a shower to my existing supply. I dont have gas so it needs to be instant 8kw shower.

I am on the ground floor of a conversion and i noticed (was shown) that the supply enters from the floor and goes to my fuse 100 amp, then a circuit is taken from the unfused side and goes to upstairs rated at 60amps..there is then another fuse holder next to this which used to split again but is not connected now. can i get the (EDF London) electric board to reinstate this,and have two meters. is this how it works and safe ..
thanks mark

Sponsored Links
Ultimately it would be up to the DNO (EDF), as it would depend on the capacity of their cabling as to whether it could cope with feeding another supply. They might be able to do it trivially, or it might need a new cable within your building, or it might need further upgrades to the substation / cabling to the house...

I am on the ground floor of a conversion and i noticed (was shown) that the supply enters from the floor and goes to my fuse 100 amp, then a circuit is taken from the unfused side and goes to upstairs rated at 60amps..there is then another fuse holder next to this which used to split again but is not connected now.
So an incoming supply cable and 3 fuses. OOI - do these fuses have red/yellow/blue markings? Or L1/L2/L3?

Can you post a photo?

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the replys.

I have tried to contact the electric board but after a week of trying have not managed to get to the correct dept.

The supply cable is 2 wires one goes to a black box and comes out with two black (neutral) wires and goes to my meter and upstairs meter (both in my cupboard). the other supply goes to a black fuse holder sealed with a little wire red cable comes out the top goes to my meter. another red cable comes out the bottom and goes to another black fuse holder then comes out the top and goes to there meter.

Im not sure if i can upload a picture from here but will try later

The third fuse holder is sealed with a tag no wires connected its black same as others and says 60a on it

cheers mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back