Can a shower pump be used to give pressure to the whole flat's hot water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says, is this possible and is there any paticular pump that is required?

Thanks, Chris.

Sponsored Links
1. Assuming the water comes from a vented hot water cylinder which is itself fed by a cold water storage cistern, then it can be done. You would need a single impeller pump.
2. There are two main types, positive head and negative head / universal.
2a. If the pump will be fitted at the level of the base of the hot water cylinder, and there is a drop of around 600 mm between the base of the cold water storage cistern and the highest hot outlet (usually the shower head) you can probably get away with a positive head pump.
2b. If the conditions in 2a are not satisfied you would probably need a negative head pump.
3. It is not just a simple as buying a pump and connecting water and electricity. It needs to be planned, and a sketch of the various cisterns, cylinders and outlets with relative heights is very useful.
4. Don't forget it will need an electrical supply.
5. They are relatively noisy, and will of course run every time you turn on a hot tap or shower. Can be a nuisance at night.
6. If you decide to go ahead, I would recommend the Stuart Turner brass bodied "Monsoon" range. Well made, long lasting and you can get spares for them.
7. When you decide on the make and model you want, study the installation instructions which should be available on-line. Make sure the pump will do what you want allowing for water system component placements.

5. They are relatively noisy, and will of course run every time you turn on a hot tap or shower. Can be a nuisance at night.

The previous owner of my house fitted a Salamander-twin so the whole house is pressurised on both hot and cold. It drives me nuts when I flush a loo and can hear it humming away upstairs, or I turn on a hot tap to rinse my hands and half a second after the water starts flowing, bang!, the waterflow increases 6 fold and goes everywhere. Its days are numbered, but bigger fish to fry at the moment.

you will never convince women to rinse a cup in cold water or a quick rinse of the hand using cold water, every time that tap is opened for a few seconds the pump will run, will burn out after a very short time not recommended

Sponsored Links
you will never convince women to rinse a cup in cold water or a quick rinse of the hand using cold water, every time that tap is opened for a few seconds the pump will run, will burn out after a very short time not recommended
Just to give other side of coin 20 odd years ago took out a 3.5 bar single end monsoon pump brough it home stuck it in later added a warix flange one second hand read switch couple of years ago still running!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back