can a soil pipe be "kind of bent" ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
stupid question title i know but only way i know to describe problem :)..well here goes..we want to put a new big double fridge/freezer into kitchen...but we have a problem in the fact that the soil pipe is in a back corner boxed/plastered in.. in the kitchen , we have the width to put a freezer in..but NOT the depth due to soil pipe & covering protruding..is it at all possible to be able to divert soil pipe from where it comes out of the ceiling with elbow type joint..so then it goes thru into utility room ( through a plastered wall) then straight down to floor..then another slight elbow joint to reconnect to original soil pipe (under floor level) ..so in effect the soil pipe will be kind of bending around the fridge/freezer...enabling us to remove the original pipe& covering & slide the fridge/freezer back to wall....hope you understand what i am hoping we can do...many thanks in advance

ps.. the soil pipe in effect would only have to be moved/diverted about 4 inches to the left to get fridge /freezer in .

Sponsored Links
Generally, the fewer bends in a soil pipe, the better. is it possible to change the soil pipe where it penetrates the floor above?

A pair of offset bends at ceiling level would joggle the pipe the 4" or so you need.

The tricky bit is when you get to the floor. Another pair of offset bends above floor level would probably stand too high to get a fridge over the top of them, so you would need to alter the drain below the floor so the rest bend is below the new soil stack position.

Alterations to soil stacks and drains are usually subject to building control approval.

I solved a similar problem by stripping the original generously proportioned boxing around a soil pipe that was 1/2" plasterboard supported on 3X2 framing and replacing it with 1/2" MDF sides screwed to arris sections that fitted close to the pipe. The finished box was 7" X 6" instead of 15" square

hi, many thanks for your reply ( so glad you understood the problem ) i did think about stripping & replacing the enclosure for the soilpipe as i realised it was probably bigger than it needed to be..BUT i really do need all the space it takes up ..so making it smaller is not an option..it seems that i will have to convince wife to get a smaller fridge/freezer..as i will not be extending the kitchen or moving home :) to accomodate it, well, thanks anyway for the reply and i now know at least that it is possible to do...but not really practible ( or straightforward :)..thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back