Rerouting external soil pipe, removing old cast pipes & joining into cast soil - Best option?

From your list, either go for the McAlpine DC-1, that'll fit inside the pipe neatly, (and avoid the need to cut anything hopefully), or you can use either of those fitting from DrainSuperstore or Mytub. These both fit in a salt glazed socket, and require you to finish the joint with mortar to seal and retain the fitting.

The Wavin fitting you've found may be for 100mm Vitrified Clay pipes, such as Hepworth Supersleve, which is a thinner outside diameter than the salt glazed stuff, I would avoid this one as may not fit!

You may find that mortar joint is very soft and will dig out with a suitable tool quite easily. The salt glazed can be very fragile, I'd avoid putting any stress on that drain if you can at all help it.

Thanks again Hugh. I think I'll just get the mcalpine one (or the flowplast equivalent as they probably stock it at wickes) as I suppose it should work with or without the spigot. I was a little concerned that it looks like it has a reduced internal diameter but I suppose on a vertical fall it won't make much difference.
Anyway I think I've finally got it all figured out and planned (see pic) sorry about the bad spelling the thing I used to write over the picture is a PITA. I decided on a small change to how the pipes come together as it will provide a rodding point for the salt glaze sewer which we currently don't have and it should keep the pipes above a bit simpler. Think I've got sufficient rodding access for all sections. Ordering all the pipe while there's 15% off at Wickes as I can't find anyone significantly cheaper.
joxi_screenshot_1522686308361 (1).png

Sponsored Links
Got cracking on this today and did all as planned except the connection into the salt glaze spigot. It was sitting at a really squint angle and I wasn't convinced the push in adapter or the boot would connect well allowing the pvc to go straight up. I had a wee bit of old salt glaze pipe kicking about so cut a short section with an angle at the bottom enabling it to sit plum in the wonky spigot. Put a wee bit of newspaper round the bottom (to stop the mortar dripping down) and a touch of silicone to seal the joint then mortared it in with 3:1 sharp sand and cement. This gave a good, plumb conection for the fernco style connector and avoided having to dig a giant hole to grind off the spigot. Everything else seems to have gone well. Very impressed with how easy the mcalpine mechanical boss is to use, kept things simple while I was hanging off a ladder to reconnect the upstairs shower waste.
I won't fit all the brackets on the vertical section just yet as it will all be coming off in a fortnight or so for the rendering to get done but very happy with how it looks. Just need to remove the last cast section thats left on the wall then do the downpipe on the right. Should all be done tomorrow if I can find someone who stocks 4m lengths of downpipe.
IMG_20180405_151423.jpg IMG_20180405_160957.jpg IMG_20180405_181553.jpg IMG_20180405_193717.jpg IMG_20180405_195300.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well overdue but realised I didn't ever put up a picture of the finished pipework job, this was actually taken last summer when the grass was still recovering from the rendering work (looked like
IMG_20180712_214103.jpg
IMG_20180712_214121.jpg
the Somme for a few months). Once again thanks to the helpful members here for their advice, the plumbing is all working as it should so I must have for something right.

Looking good .....

Only thing I would add is, if you have any brown soil pipe that is/will be above ground for any length of time then paint it to protect it. As it's underground pipe, it's not UV stable and will break down over time.

I think some credit needs to go to you Dougie, for asking the questions, taking on board the advice, and no thinking you know best. Result is, a very tidy job and all working as it should, thanks for coming back to us with the result of your labours.

+1 for Madrab's point, good coat or 2 of gloss paint doesn't hurt on all exposed plastic pipework to protect it against the UV in sunlight, but the underground stuff especially needs it to prolong it's lifespan.

Thanks for the reminder. When it was originally planned I expected that section to all be below ground but I ended up digging away a fair bit of accumulated soil to get to the bottom of the old roughcast before the rendering team came in. I intended to replace with a black equivalent but tbh I just put it on the back burner and forgot about it. Paint would be a much easier option though, I've got some black zinnsser allcoat in the garage so I'll lash a bit of that on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back