Can a thick brunette replace gas hob with electric??

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

So how easy is it to do? Do I need to disconect the whole gas supply first or do I just make sure the hob gas rings aren't turned to 'on'?

I guess fitting the electric hob isn't too difficult as long as there is an electric supply nearby. I can do electric wiring no problem.

But how do I 'tap in' to a nearby electricity point? Is it called creating a spur or something?

Sponsored Links
first the gas has to be capped off not easy unless you are corgi reg, size of hob may differ from old one .new hob has to be wired to a socket poss 13 amp plug ,check the new hob what does it say :eek:

But how do I 'tap in' to a nearby electricity point? Is it called creating a spur or something?
NoNoNoNoNo!

Apart from miniature one-ringers used in caravans and bedsits, an electric hob takes a large current and CANNOT be supplied from a socket, or from tapping into a socket circuit.

It needs a dedicated cooker supply circuit, with a 32A or higher MCB and 6mm or bigger cable, and big switch and outlet.

If you do not already have a cooker circuit, start saving up for a professional job, or get a nice gas hob (which is quicker to heat, more controllable, safer, and cheaper to run)

Why would you want to do this?

Gas hobs usually give a much better performance.

Sponsored Links
I disagree with sandwell. I think electric hobs are better unless you are a world class chief, which I am not. I just got an induction hob which is very controllable and very easy to clean after a fry up. However after looking at your profile I don't think you have had to many of these :D
Interesting isn't it how sandwell who joined in 2005 has had 68 profile views and yet yourself who joined this year has had 158 already :LOL: . Mabe sandwell should add a picture to his profile :eek:
But seriously as JohnD says, all the hobs I looked at stated 32A supply required. Not allowed on a ring final circuit (max 13A at any one outlet). Ok for modern single oven, usually fitted with a 13A plug but always check manufacturers literature. :!:

Remember if you going to join the electric hob mob, get a spark and a corgi man in. I would not do it myself, and I have brown hair aswell. :LOL:

PS this post would probably been better posted in electrics UK as you are enquiring about a appliance circuit rather than a specific appliance itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back