Can airbricks in chimney breasts cause sound tests to fail ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder tells me we must have air bricks in the chimney breast to avoid condensation and damp as the flats i'm developing are so well insulated. However my concern is that sound could travel down the chimney breast and through the air brick causing the sound test to fail.

What's the best thing to do here ?

tia,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
I assume these are conversions? I doubt it will fail any sound tests because of a chimney airbrick.

Air bricks in an unused chimney are a must to keep a good airflow in the chimney itself and prevent damp from forming in there....

As a priority, I would ensure that the flats have good ventilation, especially in bathrooms and kitchens.

Without stereotyping, tenants in flats seem always seem to have more damp condensation problems than anywhere else. This is because the flats are small, usually do not have enough ventilation and tenants usually do all the wrong things which encourage damp/condensation. The big one is that clothes are dried indoors on radiators (even if there is a vented tumble dryer there) as a way to keep energy bills down.

So as part of your development, I would ensure that bathrooms have good automatic extractor fans with a humidistat. The kitchen has an automatic extractor fan with humidistat or at the least a good oven extractor hood which is vented outside (tenants do not usually use the cooker hoods, so that is why an automatic fan is useful there too).

If you highly insulate a flat, that is great, but if you do not think about ventilation and airflow, then prepare to get damp and mould problems in the future.

His advise is correct and he should also be capping the chimney with ventilation at the top as well.

If it is a flat conversion, are you able to drop the chimney below roof level?
This would save maintenance costs, and you could then not bother about air bricks. You could also block up fireplace openings to reduce sound transmission.

Sponsored Links
If its a house being converted to flats you will find that the chimney's in each room are not interlinked until about the last 18-24" on the roof stack.
Each room has a separate flue till its almost at pot height, so noise in one flat should not travel down/up to another like it would in a lift shaft.

And yes, the air bricks are necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back