Can an electricity meter box be above a gas meter box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want Cadent / National Grid to put the meters here, but I can't figure out if this is legal/ can't find any examples

I really want them tiered like this to make way for an extension and to make the move of them cheaper
New-meter-locations.jpg

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I want Cadent / National Grid to put the meters here, but I can't figure out if this is legal/ can't find any examples ... I really want them tiered like this to make way for an extension and to make the move of them cheaper .... Any thoughts?
My first thought is that you probably need to start saving up your (tens of thousands of) pennies :)

I can understand your wanting to get the electricity meter box out of the way of an envisaged extension, but I don't quite understand "..and to make the move of them cheaper".

In terms of your actual question, I'm not aware of anything that would preclude the positioning of the two meter boxes that you are proposing - but others may know more than I do.

Kind Regards, John

with the elec meter in its intended new position the hockey stick cant get to it without going round /through the gas meter or do you intend to move the cable to the cavity

If you want to use the flush type boxes you won’t be able to put the boxes there. The boxes go into the cavity and you’d need them to be further from the corner.

Also I don’t think you can have a hole in the brickwork that big without a mini joist to support the wall. Ask a structural engineer. You may be faced with using surface, not inset boxes.

Sponsored Links
for the gas you might be able to do a semi-concealed ground box at the front, which leaves the side wall free for the electric.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back