can anybody explain the tech.....gravity HW pumped CH boiler

Sponsored Links
adlplumbing please dont post again your not making any sense, im not talking about drinking water, this is a boiler topic

ok fitz1, so what stops the pumped ch return water from creating a positive flow up through the HW unpumped flow pipe? as surely the flow created would force HW through both the CH and the HW flow pipes? unless they were seperated by a partition in the H/X

i understand the question and i dont think its been answered yet..

tbh ive never thought about it before but now its got me thinking..

how can a pumped CH system and a gravity HW system be part of the same system but be separate curcuits....and fed by the same tank in the loft.

Sponsored Links
if you look at your own sketch , the pulling and pushing of water in the heating circuit would have a negligible effect on the gravity pipes.

Im not being rude, im asking a serious question and im getting gobbledeegooch from adlplumbing about syphonage and drinking water...and annuls and air bubbles???

i can sort of begin to imagine now how it works,

the pump is in effect sucking the water out of the H/X and forcing it back through the return pipe, and because of this suction, the water coming back on the R/H side will be sucked straight back into the flow pipe, and pretty much leaving the L/H gravity side free to carry on circulating of its own accord.

Bit of science involved though here, hot water is lighter (in terms of density) than cold water, heat rises. As the water is heated the hotter water becomes lighter and slowly starts to rise, the heavier cold water displaces it, and so your gravity circulation starts. My old setup was gravity HW on 28mm primaries, once the water in the boiler had reached temp the circulation to the cylinder (some distance) was extremely fast.

I dont think the pump would have much effect with the water content of the old cast iron heat ex's in a boiler. The pressure from the pumped circuit would soon dissipate on return to the boiler, although some, (I think it was the Glow Worm Hideaway), had a spreader tube that had to be fitted on the pumped return to achieve this within the jacket.

The HW and CH circuits common within the boiler.

annuls use to be inside a cylinder before a coil heat exchanger know

hw side of it could use syponage to help draw water out of the tank like how u drain down cylinder when u don`t have drain off to do it with but the boiler would have to higher than the cylider to do this

but this guess as never come across one

and wras thing was joke hence lol

who cares? the pump must steal some, if not all of the hot water from the gravity circs but the two will work in tandem. The heat exchanger is just a box with four connections. If you are clever enough to worry about connections to a gravity system, you must be clever enough to realise it is the most inefficient way to heat water and fit a combi fast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back