Can anyone help me figure out this annoying issue with my carpet? Grateful for any advice here.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everyone, I’m wondering if anyone can help me figure out what an earth is going on with my floor/carpet?
For context, this is my second carpet in this house, and I experienced the same issue with the previous carpet. My suspicion is there is an issue with the floor itself. It looks like the carpet is a completely different colour and texture on one side than the other. I will attach a photo, it is really obvious and I cannot hide it.

When I first moved into the property, I bought a carpet that was used in the showroom and thought it was just an issue with that carpet, however I have since paid over £1000 for brand-new carpets and I’m now experiencing the same problem again. The carpet has not worn away because I had a rug over it for the majority of the time and the carpet is fairly new ( 7 months old ). Because this happened with the previous carpet as well I am suspicious. There is an issue with the actual floor underneath, am I right and if so what an earth can I do about it? I am by no means a builder, however, I am a qualified painter and decorator, but I do not believe that I have the experience to identify and rectify the issue. If anybody can help with any information at all, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• 2E706942-82D2-4C3A-9F3D-2528FC3D5599.jpeg
    2E706942-82D2-4C3A-9F3D-2528FC3D5599.jpeg
    529.4 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Hi there thanks for your reply! Do you mean it’s been bleached by the sun? Defo food for thought there.

I’m wondering if there’s a drop in the floor that’s causing it? It looks the same at night too

Sponsored Links
If you think there is unevenness in the floor, then place a long straight piece of something over that area. Any dips or bumps will then be easier to see. If there is a dip, you could theoretically roll up the carpet and add padding there.

Thank you for your reply, I will try to find something straight around the house to check.

I would suspect that there is a dip or levelling off of the floor in that area. The carpet looks to be an all manmade fibre carpet with a sheen to the pile, any deviation in subfloor can result in the light reflecting off the carpet at such an angle as to cause a seemingly slight shading/colour difference.

It's going to be difficult to check for level without lifting the carpet back.

Fading from light etc can show similar effects but I would suspect the subfloor in the first instance.

Did the rug only cover this area or did it overlap onto the area that appears 'ok' ?

I would suspect that there is a dip or levelling off of the floor in that area. The carpet looks to be an all manmade fibre carpet with a sheen to the pile, any deviation in subfloor can result in the light reflecting off the carpet at such an angle as to cause a seemingly slight shading/colour difference.

It's going to be difficult to check for level without lifting the carpet back.

Fading from light etc can show similar effects but I would suspect the subfloor in the first instance.

Did the rug only cover this area or did it overlap onto the area that appears 'ok' ?
Hi thank you for your reply, yes I suspect subfloor issue too. The rug covered the area to the left of the photo ( this is how I know it’s not wear and tear ) but as you can see the line goes all the way across. When I moved in the subfloor itself had so many large holes in it elsewhere so it wouldn’t surprise me if the rest of the floor is wrong.

I am in a new build by persimmon homes ..don’t even get me started on the rest of the issues! Everything from having to have sewage pipes dug up and relayed twice ( still experiencing issues despite this ) to untold amounts of bad finishes, including gas box put on wrong house.. too much to write. They are beyond embarrassing and the house should never have been signed off. It’s shocking they are still in business.

I am worried this is something I will be unable to fix myself. I suspect fading not to be the issue as the carpet is fairly new. Do you have any suggestions on how I could fix this issue myself? Thanks again for your input.

It’s unusual to have such an issue on a ‘new’ property, I suspect there maybe a joint or height/slope transition in that area and assuming is a cement floor, the easiest way to level would be to apply a self levelling screed and refit the carpet etc.

If the fitters had thought there may be an issue with the subfloor then maybe they would have said something although if they were laying over existing underlay, they may not have thought about checking or maybe didn’t see anything drastic to alert them as to a potential issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back