Can anyone identify this window unit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my house and flat I have these sash window units, but several of the spring units have failed and I suspect others are probably not far off. Can anyone identify what they are so I can contact the manufacturer for spares ?

The catches on the top of the sliding unit lift up, and then the unit can hinge down. It can also be removed at this stage by lifting one end until it disengages from the slider.

The torsion spring arrangement that stands in for the older style of counterweights.

Sponsored Links
Theres a whole host of different tension springs, all colour coded, different sizes/lengths so you're best bet is to contact some suppliers.

Just google 'spiral balance' to find a supplier near you

You may want to think about something extra to hold the windows in place.

The right amount of pressure from outside and they open quite easily.
Trick is to get the middle sash`s to lock together.
Trust me had the same and it was a bit shocking to see.

Sponsored Links
Thanks God and crank39, it helps when you know what they are called. I've never seen them before and assumed they were something oddball that I'd struggle to get replacements for. Time to whip some units out and weigh them.

You may want to think about something extra to hold the windows in place.

The right amount of pressure from outside and they open quite easily.
Trick is to get the middle sash`s to lock together.
Trust me had the same and it was a bit shocking to see.
Well I have to admit, when I first saw them I did think "Hmm, sash windows, aren't they supposedly insecure ?" Fortunately we're not exactly a hotbed of crime up our way :)

I have been thinking about alternative locks for them, though the ones that are on do "key" lock and also positively link the two sashes. Whilst they don't look too strong, I suspect that by the time someone is using enough force to break them then they are not just an opportunist tealeaf and will be in anyway.

I do have another question, and it's about fitting.
There are bits of plastic (which I know know are called stops - fairly obvious really :rolleyes:). It looks like these are moulded and have a closed end so they won't slide (down for the one pictured) to reveal the fixing screw, and they seem to be slotted in - it looks almost as though they were slotted in before the frame was assembled. Any suggestions how they are likely to come out ? I've tried a pry bar under the open and and it was just splitting.

Oh yes, and now I've seen the fitting instructions for various makes, it's clear the ones fitted were never adjusted properly. Hardly a surprise :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back