Identify Windows and hinges ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening.

I would like to replace the hinges on all of the windows in my house but am struggling to identify the make and thus finding it difficult to find a supplier. The house was completed in 2004 if that helps and the hinges although appearing white are in fact brass in colour. I wonder if anyone can identify the hinge in particular and better still the window manufacturers ?

Contains Hinge manufacturers mark ?

Hinge

Window Style (all wood)

Appreciate any help,

Steven

Sponsored Links
Appreciate the reply - and very fast ! Unfortunately they are not identical leading me to think that identifying the manufacturer would give me the precise hinge.

Any other suggestions ?

Steven

There is a makers mark on it but cannot remember who it is. You could take one off and check the reverse for a name.

Sponsored Links
Looking at your window its probably a John Carr or Boulton and Paul, both companies were bought out by Rugby Group but i believe now its all owned by Jeldwen, if its one of the two above you'll be very lucky to get ironmongery to fit especially handles and stays but to be fair the hinges are pretty much generic and all you really need to look for are 'stormproof' hinges, be aware though as there are two sizes so just match that size up with what you've got, it by no means needs to be from the same manufacturer

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/news/joinery-giant-set-to-axe-500-in-wake-of-john-carr-merger/938694.article

The above answers are helpful although it does seem odd that no-one can identify the logo (including me).

The issue is that I am keen if at all possible to get the original maker rather than using some generic stormproof hinges. I have so far had little luck with the builders in helping to identify the supplier although the suggestion is that they may be from magnetjoinery or possibly jeldwen (although they seem to have no knowledge of the window type or hinge) - probably sourced through Travis Perkins (although they too couldn't identify the hinges.

Although it is not 100% clear from the pictures the hinges are quite specific with an extra bend and screw hole over and above the type that I have seen on Ebay etc.

The house was completed in 2004 - one of several of the same type with the same wooden windows !

Hopefully someone can shed some more light on the logo seen in the images above.....

Many thanks to all so far,

Steven

Just dawned on me, the question of, why do you want to replace the hinges ?
If it is just to clean them up then surely you can remove them and have them stripped of any paint etc... before rehanging them.

Good Question.

It is more economic to replace them - saves stripping and re lacquering etc. One of them is damaged (bent although could be straightened) along with the window (another reason for wanting the maker etc.

If anyone can identify the logo I would be tremendously grateful !

Steven

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back