Can anyone tell me what type of heating/hot water system I h

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what type of heating/hot water system I have?

I have just moved into a flat and everything is run off the electric.

Just want to know how exactly do things work? Do I have to have the hot water constantly switched on?

Note the image with the timer that states 'storage heater'.. storage means what?

Why would there be two wires fitted to the cylinder? - Note the switches on the wall.

Why do I have timers on my 'radiators'?

Oh and how do I switch it all on? I haven't moved in yet so haven't had to touch anything? Don't know which dials to turn.. there's one on the top of the cylinder.

Click to view larger images:

Sponsored Links
a nice OZO unvented water system :LOL:

basically the water is mains pressure and the cylinder is a bubble top type unvented cylinder.
the safety requirements: an annual service to regenerate the air gap (expansion area) in the top of the cylinder, a safety check on the 2 pressure relief valves (PRV on cold inlet and TPRV on cylinder itself.

an engineer MUST HAVE A G3 (unvented) certificate to work on this cylinder

this cylinder is then heated by an electric immersion ( with a timer on the Consumer unit) which if set up right should give you hot water at 55 - 60 degrees at the taps

your heating is part night storage and should be metered seperately, it charges the bricks inside over night and then releases the heat through the day Input controls the heat output controls when the main (extra) heat is released

the heater with the timer is a panel heater and this works normally via the normal electric rather than the reduced rate

on the front is a black plastic piece (tundish) the copper pipe hanging lose should be reconnected immediately to the bottom of this.
just unscrew the plastic nut, slip the nut and the washer on to copper pipe, slot copper pipe into base of tundish and screw the nut back onto the tundish.

nice to see a hep valve (white knobbly block) being used as well this should prevent any smells coming back from drains

the red tap on the top of the cylinder should NOT be there and should be removed as soon as possible - keep it fully open until someone can safely remove it for you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

Why is there two switches on the cylinder? I gather one is for the storage heater, but I've been in touch with the electricity supplier and they have told me that it's not a two-rate meter/reduced rate, it's just a normal single rate electric meter - would I need to bother with the storage heater?

Thanks for your replies.

Why is there two switches on the cylinder? I gather one is for the storage heater, but I've been in touch with the electricity supplier and they have told me that it's not a two-rate meter/reduced rate, it's just a normal single rate electric meter - would I need to bother with the storage heater?

get it sorted bonny lass

the nightstores should be on cheap rate

I won't be using the nightstore heaters so I'm not really bothered about it not being a two-rate electric meter. I just don't want to waste more electric than I need to, so that's why I'm paranoid about the two switches on the wall for the hot water cylinder.

I just want the cylinder to come on early morning before I get up to go to work, and about an hour before I get in from work. I have set this up on the timer, but I don't know which switches on the wall to turn on. I think one of them might switch it on permanently which I don't want.

I have found the product manual on the OSO website but it doesnt make any sense to me!

All assistance is appreciated!

One of the switches goes to the top of the cylinder and one of them goes to the bottom of the cylinder.

And I have screwed the pipe back onto the tundish and ensured the red tap is fully open.

the bottom one should be on cheap rate

the top one is for use if you have ran the water off and need some fast

i would suggest you speak to your supplier :idea:

are you sure that the call centre got it right? they employ some right numskulls!

you may have a single meter but with seperate rates, have a look at the meter, does the display change giving you 2 different numbers? if it does then you already have split charging (normal/economy)
if you only have 1 figure or dials then ask for it to be changed as you are paying to much for your electric

This is another stupid question, but how long would the cylinder I have keep the water hot for? Assuming it was more or less a full tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back