Can councils destroy illegal outbuildings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has decided to build a large building in his back garden without any planning permission or discussion with me. It covers about 50% of his garden, is right up against the boundaries, is approaching 4m high (and still getting taller), and has windows facing back towards the house.

I only moved in recently and I've discovered that about 10 years ago he bought two houses nearby, and did exactly the same thing there - illegally built a 2 story outbuilding without any permission. The council ordered him to destroy it, but he didn't and eventually was given a very large fine.

I don't know if the building was destroyed in the end, but it's clear he's planning on doing exactly the same thing here. I don't care about any fines he receives, i just want the thing destroyed, so can anyone advise whether councils are able to destroy illegal buildings in gardens if the owner refuses to do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ultimately they could order it be demolished and he would have to foot the bill but that said the council would need to weigh up whether it was really in the interest of the public to be taking it that far, as it could be potentially costly for the council too.

So they'll always depend on the owner footing the bill? I've read that violations of planning law aren't usually criminal offences, so there's really nothing stopping him just refusing?

If he refuses to do anything then ultimately they could start legal proceedings. If demolition was ordered by the courts then the council would try and make him liable for the costs for the demolition (if he refused to demolish it himself) a fine and legal costs. But that's about a 3 year process and assuming it even got that far, which it probably wouldn't.

eg http://www.barnet.gov.uk/news/article/343/couple_ordered_to_demolish_illegal_extension

Sponsored Links
Besides the fact that no one wants their garden to be overlooked, i just spent my life savings on buying this place, and the garden is a big selling point. Now i've got this big ugly building overlooking it which will affect the value, so i'm losing money i put into it.

Assuming it falls outside the permitted development limits for curtilage buildings, the first thing to do would be to bring it to the LPAs attention.

But be aware that only a council can take enforcement action, and it is entirely at their discretion whether or not to do so. This is because a council can be liable for costs if the appellant wins. Even if the appellant fails, he could apply to the courts on a point of law, and then costs really start to stack up.

Any enforcement action has to be in the public interest; a council should also not take action for a 'minor or technical breach', where no harm has occurred. You say the windows overlook your garden, but surely the bedroom windows of the neighbour's house overlook your garden, and vice versa?

If you want to stand a chance of having anything done about it, you need to be tactful with the local planning enforcement people and hopefully get them on board.

Also, there are certain circumstances where ridiculously tall buildings can be built adjacent your boundary under permitted development..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back