Can DIYer Repair Roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Felt tears (in the bottom 4-5 courses of roof tiles) has led to a roof leak.

Watching the below video, am I right in saying that the job is relatively straight forward for a competent diyer? i.e.

1. Remove roof tiles, remove battens and remove existing damages felt

2. Lay new breathable membrane using nails making sure it is not tight to all water to flow into gutter

3. Lay new battens and roof tiles

Or is this a job best left to the professionals?

Sponsored Links
If you did not know about eaves tray, and maybe comb fillers, or reusing battens and tiles, then probably not.

Underlay support trays, the felt/underlay can be what ever you have at the moment .
How straightforward a job it is depends of tile type .
Or slate. Not all easy.
Check the roof slope to find leak cause

Sponsored Links
Felt tears (in the bottom 4-5 courses of roof tiles) has led to a roof leak

Strictly speaking the felt is not the primary cause of the leak…..which you really should sort out whilst doing the work

Yes it’s doable for a DIYer, please be careful when working at height and do a risk assessment

If you did not know about eaves tray, and maybe comb fillers, or reusing battens and tiles, then probably not.
It's not even Christmas yet, but here comes the grinch :LOL:

You will probably need to repoint the verge?

Fortunately not. Its a mid-terrace.
The hardest part is not falling off roof. How high is it?
It's a standard two storey house. Scaffolding arriving over the weekend.

Excited and nervous at the same time :mrgreen:
Underlay support trays, the felt/underlay can be what ever you have at the moment .
How straightforward a job it is depends of tile type .
Or slate. Not all easy.
Check the roof slope to find leak cause
The tiles are Marley Concrete interlocking tiles

They are flat looking and mimic slate. Do they have a particular name?

Strictly speaking the felt is not the primary cause of the leak…..which you really should sort out whilst doing the work

Yes it’s doable for a DIYer, please be careful when working at height and do a risk assessment
Interesting you should say that. Besides the felt, I assumed that the leak was being cause by some cracked/missing tiles.

However, none of the tiles were cracked/missing. Could it be the moss or something else?

Will I need to clean all the moss from the roof for a better job?

I got on the ladder and took a pic of the roof. Do any defects stand out?

Thank you for the encouragement and yes, I will put safety first.

Attachments

• ifl.jpg
    ifl.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 58
Excited and nervous at the same time :mrgreen:
Don't worry, the excitement will soon pass
The tiles are Marley Concrete interlocking tiles

They are flat looking and mimic slate. Do they have a particular name?
Marley Modern I'd expect

Interesting you should say that. Besides the felt, I assumed that the leak was being cause by some cracked/missing tiles
It's right. It is not the job of the felt to make a roof watertight, it's the job of the tiles. Fel is a backup, but does make it harder to trace where a leak is sourced. See if you can find the problem from inside when it's raining. Poke an inspection camera down the felt overlap or shine a torch and see what you can see
.However, none of the tiles were cracked/missing. Could it be the moss or something else?
Concrete tile have interlocking ridged tabs on either side and they rely on them to shed water that gets down the gap between tiles. These edges can break almost invisibly and start leaking, particularly when the tile is older and some 18st+ person starts bounding around on them. Moss can also cause or compound the problem by blocking the water exit at the bottom edge of the interlock which may lead to it flowing off the side of the tile and into the loft
Will I need to clean all the moss from the roof for a better job?
Depend how bad it is when you look closely. If you feel it's blocking the water from flowing downwards then it'll need clearing.

Or is this a job best left to the professionals?
Roofing isn't hard. Most things in building aren't intellectually hard; if they were then most of the trade would be out of a job. What you lack in experience you can, in most cases, overcome with patience, logic and attention to detail and as it's your own house you'll generally be interested in doing a better job than most "professionals" and more likely to follow manufacturer guidance to the letter because you don't think you know better.
One advantage for roofing is that Marley produce highly detailed how/to guides that tell you everything you could possibly want to know about installing their products, including dry ridges, eaves trays and comb fillers. Example: https://www.specifiedby.com/marley/...Tile_Operations_Fixing-Guide_Instructions.pdf

Concrete tiles are rarely nailed every row. To take your roof apart, having roughly located the problem, find a row of tile that can be slid upwards with some determined effort, revealing the nails that hold the lower row in, and work down to the spirce of the problem. If the problem is in an unnailed row and the row above is also unnailed then replacing a tile can be an easy few minutes job. That you're getting scaffold indicates to me you're planning a full reroof; it would be better to have a surefooted assistant With you to carry - some aspects of building are physically tiring and mentally impactful because they're bleak when you do everything solo

Particularly regards cleaning the moss up, think carefully before taking a jet wash to your roof, as it can cause further damage if set too aggressively and result in creating more problems than it solves

Last edited:
Particularly regards cleaning the moss up, think carefully before taking a jet wash to your roof, as it can cause further damage if set too aggressively and result in creating more problems than it solves
Don't pressure wash in an Upwards direction - it will force water and other rubbish underneath the tiles making the problem worse.

I was going to use some dense polythene like DPC as opposed to an eaves tray. Are there any drawbacks to this? Is one more advantageous than the other?

How long have you got it for? Seems like too cold for this kind of thing.

My 3 storey roof looked same. I removed as much of the growth as possible with a stick.
8 weeks but company are flexible

What kind of stick? So is it possible to stand on the scaffolding and just use a stick to remove the moss?
Marley Modern I'd expect
Thank you.
It's right. It is not the job of the felt to make a roof watertight, it's the job of the tiles. Fel is a backup, but does make it harder to trace where a leak is sourced. See if you can find the problem from inside when it's raining. Poke an inspection camera down the felt overlap or shine a torch and see what you can see
I don’t really have this luxury.

The home belongs to family member, so I can’t access the loft area when I want to do a full investigation.

However after a downpour, I observed that the felt was torn/ perished in all the places water was leaking in. The ends (where the felt tracks into the gutter) was complete shot.

My logic is as follows - the felt is too severely damaged (in the lower portion of the roof), so the only option is to strip the roof (tiles, battens and old felt) in the lower portion where the leak is. Then just install new membrane, eaves carrier/dpc, battens and tiles.
Roofing isn't hard. Most things in building aren't intellectually hard; if they were then most of the trade would be out of a job. What you lack in experience you can, in most cases, overcome with patience, logic and attention to detail and as it's your own house you'll generally be interested in doing a better job than most "professionals" and more likely to follow manufacturer guidance to the letter because you don't think you know better.
One advantage for roofing is that Marley produce highly detailed how/to guides that tell you everything you could possibly want to know about installing their products, including dry ridges, eaves trays and comb fillers. Example: https://www.specifiedby.com/marley/...Tile_Operations_Fixing-Guide_Instructions.pdf

Concrete tiles are rarely nailed every row. To take your roof apart, having roughly located the problem, find a row of tile that can be slid upwards with some determined effort, revealing the nails that hold the lower row in, and work down to the spirce of the problem. If the problem is in an unnailed row and the row above is also unnailed then replacing a tile can be an easy few minutes job.

That's brilliant. Thank you for the encouragement. That link is fantastic. You can't beat the manufacturers guidance.

Can't wait to get cracking. Although you say that the excitement will soon pass. I also hate heights, so not sure how this is all going to work. But so excited.

That you're getting scaffold indicates to me you're planning a full reroof; it would be better to have a surefooted assistant With you to carry - some aspects of building are physically tiring and mentally impactful because they're bleak when you do everything solo
Not quite. This is going to be a patch job.

The loft is bone dry. Only the bottom 20% of the roof area is affected by the leak. So, it seem wiser to lift this area up and patch it.

If the job goes well, consideration for a complete re-roof may take place later down the line.
Thanks for the advice. I definitely won't use a pressure washer. Too risky as you mention

I was going to use a stiff brush as suggested in the video below. @DiyNutJob also suggests a stick.

Last edited:
What kind of stick? So is it possible to stand on the scaffolding and just use a stick to remove the moss?
I had thin wood beam with a perpendicular screw on it. The beam was for jabbing and the screw for digging between tiles. My alum scaffold was wobbly, I was limited to using the stick with one hand. So, the stick wasn't long. It did cover 20%-33% of the roof. A minor developing leak was within that area.

In summer dry conditions, the moss would be crispy. A long enough stick with 2 hands can cover quite a large area.

I also hate heights, so not sure how this is all going to work
It doesn't really feel like working at height when there is a roof covering there and even when there is a felt, particularly when working from scaffold but you do have to have at the forefront of your mind all the time that there are only certain places where you can step on what you can see. Persevere, because the dislike of heights is a psychological thing that mostly only gets you when you're climbing the ladder or if you're looking over an edge. The rest of the job feels like kneeling on a slope; maintain caution and don't get complacent, and maybe don't do 8h plus days to start- it's very easy to think "I'll just do a bit more" and not recognise that you've gotten tired, cold, hungry etc - that's when mistakes are made. Start small and work up to it

Partial reroof makes sense and like I mentioned, it should be the case that not every course is nailed so a partial strip is easy enough. Remember basics like the felt higher up has to lap over the felt lower down - think like "if I was water, driven by gravity, where would I go?"

The batten spacing is determined for you; put the new in at the same as the old, and remember to match old and new sizes up. Post up on here for any advice as you go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back