CAN EGGSHELL BE USED ON WALLS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Lady asked me to paint her flat but wants me to use eggshell on the wall, but i thought this was mainly used for woodwork.
I know it can be used in high traffic areas but in a normal house?
Also colour options as she wants natural off white not Brilliant white.
I looked on Dulux and they don;t seem to stock colours,.

should i just try to push her back onto emulsion or is it practical to use eggshell. Ifso what make offers a good range?

many thanks for the advice

j

Sponsored Links
Eggshell is fine to use on the walls in any house. as its an oil based paint it will be more durable and hard wearing. Down side is that it will be a bit smelly when applied in larger areas. Needs lots of ventilation. As for the colours Dulux would be able to mix any colour you like as they keep tins of base to mix from. They cant possibly stock every colour made. You could also get it mixed in Gliddens which is also made by Dulux (ICI) and is cheaper but just as good.

Eggshell is the orginal kitchen & bathroom which is only used on woodwork because its a cheaper option to satinwood, but has a slightly higher sheen level than satinwood.

Vern, i think you got that the wrong way round, the satin wood has the higher sheen level than eggshell. This can be used on plastered walls and ceilings no probs.

Sponsored Links
I would go for water based quick drying eggshell. Unfortunately Dulux have 'Improved it' :rolleyes: added diamond to it's name and its abot £48 for 5lt :eek: But have to say it went on luverly (thinned a little same as emulsion). As robbi says all colours available. Tho if cash is an issue I would go for soft sheen emulsion.

good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back