Can HIVE be used to replace a thermostat that switches 240v ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Hive running a gas combi boiler and enjoy its remote control via internet.

I have another property which uses an oil fired Alpha cooker for cooking, CH and HW. This is controlled by a 3 channel Horstman H37XL controller. The CH is further controlled via a single Honeywell T6360 room thermostat switching the 240v AC which then activates a Honeywell motorised valve and the CH pump and boiler.

Can a HIVE be used to switch the 240v and therefore replace the thermostat (on zone 2 below) so that we control the CH via the internet. I envisage setting the Horstmann CH to ON continuously and using the HIVE to then control the CH , assuming the Hive can switch the 240v. Ive searched the internet and not found an answer to this specific question. Can anyone help ?

IMG_20180921_163510891_HDR (Large).jpg

Zone 1 is the cooker only so Ive painted it out for clarity

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I wasn't sure if it could handle only "no volts" thermostats like the one on our gas combi.

Sponsored Links
"No volts" is a misleading term.

It does not mean the terminals can handle 'no volts'.

It means that there are 'no volts' connected to the terminals from the workings of the device.

Consequently it can be used to switch whatever you wish, whether that be 1V, 12V, 24V or 230V.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back