Can I Add A Wireless Room Stat To Vented System?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My vented system has a programmer, but no room stat at present. Looking at the wireless stats available, they seem to be designed with combis in mind (eg. Drayton RF).

Can I get a Wireless stat, without programming features, ie. just a straight stat?

Alternatively, could I replace my programmer with another one that works in conjunction with a wireless stat.

Any advice on my options, and makes/models that would be suitable is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I believe you could fit a wireless 2 channel programmable roomstat.
For combi boilers it is a 1 channel u need.

I think Honeywell do a good 2 channel Wireless Programmable Roomstat.
:D

of course you can fit a wireless stat.

You have two options, fit a wireless stat, for use with current programmer.

Fit a wireless programmable stat, and replace your programmer with a single channel one for hot water control.

Thanks for your replies.

It looks like the Honeywell RF2 Sundial Pack 2 (is that the one Afterburn003?).

The installation PDF looks really easy. Two questions;

1) My system is Y plan. Are all Y Plans wired the same way, ie. on the wiring centre block, do Y Plans always have the same colour wires in the same numbered connectors?

2) Is that all there is to wiring in the timer/receiver - one live, one neutral, three more wires to the w/centre connectors Honeywell specify, and a link between connections 4 and 5? Or is there more to it?

Sponsored Links
The honeywell that you mention might not be suitable as it has provision for a cylinder stat as well which you should already have..

You say you have a Y plan system and no room stat so what you are looking for is an RF stat or an RF programmable stat.

For just a stat something like Drayton Digistat +RF, Danfoss RETB RF +RX1 or Honeywell DT92E1000

For programmable room stat something like Drayton RF700 or RF701(optimising), TP7000RF+ RX1, Honeywell CMT927A 9 (optimising)

For a cheapie RT500RF Salus RF

Wiring is simple, say for Honeywell CMT927A 9 programmable stat (instructions will be easy to follow for any make)

Reciever box positioned next to wiring centre bit of 4 core or couple of 3 cores.

Take live and neutral from wiring centre to receiver L & N

1. Split wires in wiring centre from CH on from existing time clock and white of motorised valve. CH on should now go to terminal A on reciever. Terminal B from reciever joins to white from valve.
Existing time clock must now have heating set to 24hrs (constant) and heating is now controlled from digistat.

2. Alternatively put a link between terminal L and A on the reciever and join terminal B to white from valve. Remove wire from CH on at existing programmer, normally number 4 (remove it from the wiring centre too).
Heating now controlled from digistat and CH switch on programmer redundant. Change programmer for single channel timer if you like.

If you fit an RF roomstat (not programmabe) follow answer 1. Existing programmer still controls when heating switches on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back