Can I add an extra lock to this garage door from the inside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Few garages have been broken into recently is it possible for me to add another lock to the inside of this garage door as its joined to our house.

Any help would be good.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4683.JPG
    IMG_4683.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 160
Sponsored Links
Not so much a lock but can you drill a hole in the side of the door and into the frame/wall then put some metal dowell in it that can only be removed from the inside?

Think I have found something to use

Enfield Garage door bolts

Sponsored Links
What about one of these
http://www.screwfix.com/p/squire-garage-defender/79478

Its an external lock so would hopefully deter break ins too.
Adding locks internally may stop someone getting in but it wont stop them trashing the door if they try, Then you would need to claim on your insurance for a whole new door possibly. I think something that they would see externally (lights, camera, external lock etc) and make them move straight onto the next house may be a better way to go.

What about one of these
http://www.screwfix.com/p/squire-garage-defender/79478

Its an external lock so would hopefully deter break ins too.
Adding locks internally may stop someone getting in but it wont stop them trashing the door if they try, Then you would need to claim on your insurance for a whole new door possibly. I think something that they would see externally (lights, camera, external lock etc) and make them move straight onto the next house may be a better way to go.
How does that prevent access? metal up and over doors are often breached by pushing the base of the door in and folding the thin metal upwards allowing thief to crawl under. That device would give an ideal leverage point to use a crowbar over and force a V up into the door allowing it to be pulled open more easily?

I suppose they could be fitted internally I just always assumed they were for external use.
I have never personally seen a garage door break in up close, I just kind of assumed you would yank/bar them out at the bottom and bend them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back