Garage Door Security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right topic, but here goes...

Someone has attempted to break into my garage by trying to break the lock on the door. Thankfully the lock held up to attack. I'll need to replace the lock on the door. Its a very old garage door and has a very simple locking mechanism. I was thinking about adding some extra securty to the door. It needs to be quick and easy to use as the garage stores my car every night. Its a double garage, so I'll have to buy 2 of anything I add.
I was thinking about one of these on the outside.

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acatalog/info_PJB301.html

Are they any good? The garage has windows, so there are other routes in and you can already see the whats inside. It looks like a bit of an advert that there is something valuable inside, but as I said there are already windows on the garage.

Any other recommendations? A security light is already installed.

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
then secure the Personal door as if it was the front door of your house. Hinge bolts, mortice deadlock (or two, one at shoulder and one at kick height) and a good solid door and frame.

You can then enter and leave through that door.

You can then fit the garage doors with inexpensive and simple tower bolts or deadbolts, which you secure from the inside.

You had better brick up the windows.

As someone has already made one attempt at a breakin, they will probably be back when the weather improves. Perhaps they saw something attractive through the windows. You might as well fit an alarm that sounds in the house too.

Sponsored Links
Also, consider bolting lengths of angle iron or something similar to the edges of the door, inside.

I've seen a couple of cases where thieves have attacked steel doors by levering between the edge and the frame. If you stiffen a door, you reduce their chances of success.

It needn't cost much to do this if you use scrap materials. Make sure anything you fix to the door doesn't interfere with its proper opening.

Thanks for the advice.

Some good ideas there. I'll get working on it this weekend.

Alan

Just remember...

No matter how expensive or good the lock is, it will only stop an honest person :rolleyes:

Nick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back