Improving Garage Door Security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to uprate the security of a garage door - a single 7' wide Cardale Futura Vertical (overhead trackless wood type in a metal frame) - which currently has a single top latch operated from a central 'T' handle lock. Apart from via the garage door itself, there is no other access to the garage. Ideally, I'd like to fit two mortice locks low down on either side which can be operated from keys from the outside.

I am keen for any additional locks to be discreet which is why I'm not particularly happy about using very obvious padlocks/hasps or concreted-in posts externally. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem with a steel up and over garage door and used a pair of chubb locks.

Unfortuneatly the chubb site is a bit tricky and I can't get the link to work properly so follow this. www.chubblocks.co.uk

Then skip intro>secure your property>additional door security>door bolts.

The bottom one is called an 8K116. I fitted a pair of these 5 years ago and they still look and work as new. They were white enamel, easy to fit and look really neat. The ones in the piccy are badly fitted with too big a gap on the bolt part. They cost about £20- £30 a pair from a chubb centre.

BTW they are meant for inside use but mine are outside.

Many thanks for the details of the Chubb site. 'Fraid I wasn't too impressed with their site or offerings.

I have tried side-fitting ERA 318 garage locks (decent-looking mortice locks sold in locksmiths and some B&Qs) but unfortunately they were too wide for fitting into the Cardale frame, hence the enquiry. However, for anyone with metal up and over doors they're excellent as they're both secure and discreet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back