Up and over garage door lock replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old up-and-over garage door that is missing the keys to the lock, the bit that attaches to the lock spindle and the cable.

I think I've found the parts I need but I'm not sure how the cable attaches to the lock cam and the latch. Does anyone know or have any photos they can share of a similar setup? It's a King garage door and the parts I think I need are:

https://www.garagedoor-spares.com/item/king-garage-door-t-bar-locking-handle/
https://www.garagedoor-spares.com/item/king-garage-door-lock-cable/
https://www.garagedoor-spares.com/item/cardale-garage-universal-lock-cam/

Attachments

• 20230806_164318.jpg
    20230806_164318.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 20230806_163957.jpg
    20230806_163957.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230806_163938.jpg
    20230806_163938.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
I think I've found the parts I need but I'm not sure how the cable attaches to the lock cam and the latch. Does anyone know or have any photos they can share of a similar setup? It's a King garage door and the parts I think I need are:

I suspect that all you need is the first part in your list, the locking handle. If you undo the two screws on the back, inside of the door (your third photo), the handle will simply pull out, and your new one goes in it's place.

You will also need the cam.

BTW, the lock you have is appallingly insecure.

I once shut my keys inside. Drilled a 6mm hole in the door and pushed a tool through to press on the cable.

I suspect that all you need is the first part in your list, the locking handle. If you undo the two screws on the back, inside of the door (your third photo), the handle will simply pull out, and your new one goes in it's place.
How would the spring latch attach to the handle though? It's currently only got a short bit of cable which you can use to open it from the inside.

You will also need the cam.

BTW, the lock you have is appallingly insecure.

I once shut my keys inside. Drilled a 6mm hole in the door and pushed a tool through to press on the cable.
Thanks. Do you know how the cable attaches to the cam? I assume the pre-looped bit of the cable goes through the spring latch but I'm not sure sure how the other end attaches to the cam.

Thanks also for the heads up on security. Do plan on replacing the door in future, this is just a temporary fix.

Sponsored Links
It attaches or goes through the hole in the cam that will pull on it when turned. I can't remember how it attaches. There might be a pic on the vendor's site

Thanks. Do you know how the cable attaches to the cam? I assume the pre-looped bit of the cable goes through the spring latch but I'm not sure sure how the other end attaches to the cam.

I would guess the handle just pushes through a square hole in the cam.

You slide the universal cam in your third link over the square bar of the new handle and secure it from sliding back off with the locking screw, depending on which way your handle turns determines which side of the locking cam you attach the cable but in both cases the handle needs to PULL down on the cable so it in turn pulls the latch down at the top. As John says these are the easiest doors to get through but thats not what you asked

If you turn the handle anti-clockwise from the outside, you need to attach the cable to the right-hand side of the cam when viewed from the inside of the garage.

Thanks all. I ended up buying the parts and getting some advice from www.garagedoorpartsuk.co.uk. I ordered a locking handle, universal cam and a locking cable. The one end of the cable attached to the latch using a keyring loop and the other end attached using a metal adjuster which I looped the cable around twice and tied at the end. All works fine so at least it's sorted for now.

Attachments

• 20230820_190809.jpg
    20230820_190809.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230820_190805.jpg
    20230820_190805.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230820_190812.jpg
    20230820_190812.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 48
Good work and we appreciate the update!
Do look at other security though - a burglar can blow his way in with these.
I have two padlocks on the outside on mine - quality hasps bolted through.
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back