Can i alter my tile spacing half way up a roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a roof where one face has a hip up to a lower ridge, then another hip up to the upper ridge. Distance from lowest batten to lower ridge is 1800 and distance from that ridge to upper ridge is 2480.. I figure I could put 6 rows on the entire face at 300 centres, then increase the batten spacing to 310 for another 8 rows to get to the top.. Is this done? or do roofers normally just space to the longest length (eg do the whole roof at 329 which is the best fit for a 4280 distnace for a tile that's 345 max spacing) and then cut the row of tiles that doesnt land exactly on the lower ridge?

Sponsored Links
Easiest way for you to do it is set the top batten to lower ridge then set batten for eaves course take a measure from the top of both battens divide by the required guage.

Repeat process for top ridge to lower ridge batten.

No need to cut tiles.

That's what I've done.. but the ridge height are such that the tile spacing is not divisible by a whole number of rows, whichever spacing I use and these ridges are on the same face of the roof..

i.e. the roof looks like:

[code:1]
___
 ___/ \
/ \
[/code:1]

so i want to change the spacing of the battens for the entire roof face, halfway up the roof:
[code:1]
___ above dotted line space at 310
 ___/ \ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
/ \ below dotted line space at 300
[/code:1]

You can space them like that if you want to, as long as you have the minimum required over lap.

Sponsored Links
A change of as little as 10mm will go unnoticed.

Your proposals are sound.

We are tiling in a very similar roof as we speak. Unfortunately the lower part on our roof meant that spacing the tiles to suit was not an option.

Rather we had to cut the last course of tiles at the low part ridge and re- drill, then double batten and fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back