Ridge tiles re-bedding or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I accepted a quotation from a contractor to remove and re-bed ridge tiles on my two roofs, a lower roof and an upper roof, of which the contractor said there is a total of 53 ridge tiles for £600.

I had read a lot on the web about the inadvisability of having cosmetic concreting work done on ridge tiles as it easily breaks up and lets water in so I was very careful to ask for a quotation for removing and re-bedding the ridge tiles.

On the day the work was done, the contractor went off to get some supplies while the men removed the ridge tiles. When the contractor returned they had all the roof tiles off the upper roof and about half off the lower roof which they then left and proceeded to re-bed in the ridge tiles on the upper roof.

In the afternoon, I looked down on the lower roof from above and was horrified to see that half of the ridge tiles were still off but they had not taken off the remaining ridge tiles and were running a line of concrete along them and were quite a way across. I went out and asked them about it and they said they had broken a number of tiles and were doing this as it was “just as good” and that I “wouldn’t see the difference”. I said that the look was not the issue and that he knew I was spending all this money because I had wanted the roof sound as I had said in a number of emails.

He said he would take the lines of concrete off the ridge tiles they hadn’t taken off and remove and re-bed them but only if I agreed to pay extra for the ridge tiles they hadn’t taken off (14) and the rows of flat roof tiles on either side 14 x 2. I said he was contracted to re-bed all of the 53 tiles so there was no case for any extra payment. He said extra payment was needed because what I was asking was unnecessary and the roofer is an expert and what they were doing was perfectly good and we wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. He made me feel very foolish. If I thought an extra payment was justified which I didn’t, I had already told the contractor I did not have one more penny to spend on this work as he had already offered me (and done) more work than originally planned. He was adamant so the ridge tiles were left un-removed and with the lines of concrete on them under protest.

After they had left I looked at the back of the house and was shocked to see a knobbly bump where they had joined the ridge tiles that had been re-bedded and those that had not.

We are pensioners in our 70s and 80s and have found this whole experience immensely distressing and would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks
JDL

Sponsored Links
hopefully you have not paid yet.
the guy is talking total twaddle, repointing ridge tiles is not an option and the new muck will fall out after a summer...
stand firm, devide his cost by 53 pay only for ridge he has removed and rebeded.
Then send him down the road.

Any chance you could send post a picture?

PS your not a fool,

What do you expect to happen? I'd just forget all about it and get on with everyday life if I were you. As long as they don't leak, why worry. You paid over the odds though but you won't get them back for free - that's for sure.

If you have paid them they wont come back.

Post a pic if you can.

Sponsored Links
If the pointing was just as good, then why not just repoint everything and not re-bed?

The answer is that the last few tiles were a bit difficult to get off, the roofers were running out of time, or some other reason involving a bit more work than expected

You wanted all the tiles re-bedded, you got quoted for them to be re-bedded, and so that is what should be done. Its just a plain and simple agreement - one which can't be changed arbitrarily without your consent

You are entitled to withhold all the money until all the work is done as agreed - that is the position under contract law. Your councils trading standards/consumer protection dept would be interested in something like this

Also, the fact they they had broke tiles is not your concern - those are for the roofer to replace at his cost, unless it is mentioned in your quote to the contrary

Very many thanks everyone for replies.

I am trying to get some pictures taken.

Thanks for help

JohnDL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back