can i block airbricks to a cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks
i have an olde 30's brick semi, built on the side of a hill ( frontage facing up-gradient) in which i have just dug down under the stairs to open up cellars beneath both lounge and kitchen.
in an effort to stop draughts through the wooden t&g ground floors can i block up all, or any, of the airbricks venting these cellars ( both approx 5mx4m in size)?. Both spaces have 6 double brick vents located along the two courses of DPC.
I have already lined between the joists with 150mm loft insultaion as suggested in another thread.
i am also considering boarding out the ceiling at some point unless you recommend against.

i mentioned the hill and frontage facing up-gradient because these cellars also have a prob with damp inner walls along the front and gable ends, but thats a WHOLE different project :confused:

cheers in advance for any help

tebbo

Sponsored Links
you can block them if you want the cellar to get increasingly damp, and to grow mildew and fungus, and possibly rot the wood, e.g. in the joists above.

Is this what you want? I think probably not.

i realise i need to leave SOME ventilation, i was considering using flexible vents to divert the draughts/air around the room should i decide to board out the ceiling. or is that a bad idea too ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back