Can I bolt chemical anchors into mortar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got to install some gallow brackets for a chimney ive removed. I think the stuckal engeneer has over speced them alittle bit.

Ive got to mount 3 brackets make out of 10mm steel with 3 bolts in each bracket.

There m20 bolts which need 24mm holes 2 courses of brick deep. The only problem ive got is all the bricks where i need to drill are blue enginnering brick.

Would it be safe to install them in the mortar between the bricks. And would building control be happy with it when they come out to sign it off.

Sponsored Links
None of the resins I've seen are approved for use in mortar.... reckon you need to go and hire a diamond core drill and a big beefy SDS drill to go with it.

And unless you've got massive mortar courses your 24mm drill bit would be jamming between bricks & possibly causing some significant problems.

Enjoy

Thanks for the reply. Thats ideal.

Yeah im sure im going to enjoy myself lol.

Im not used to drilling brick and stone ect. (Used to be a metal fabricator)

Would you recomend wet or dry drilling it? Ive allready got a large sds drill so ill just buy a bit.

Also a quick thought i had. Im asuming i dont want to go all the way though both courses of brick as the resin will run away. How do I stop short on the second brick and get the core of brick out of the hole if that makes sence

Not sure about wet or dry to be honest- tended to do wet in concrete cos that's what the hire shop had but the retail core drills all seem to be dry (and not hammer!).

What's on the far side of the 2nd course - next doors' attic or fresh air?

Its low odds the core will stay in one piece (you'll be pulling the drill out every 40mm for a coffee break never mind cleaning the rubbish out of it) so (if they're solids) allow 240 total wall thickness and mark 220mm on the side of the bit with a Sharpie or similar (or use the depth stop on your drill if you haven't lost it like everyone does).

If there's a chunk of core hanging on then (depending on the diameter of the drive bar as against the cutter) there should be enough wiggle room to wiggle the bit til the core snaps off (like concrete, brick is good in compression and not so good in tension). Worst case if you do overshoot- get a big cork and bang that in the hole.

For holes that size you'll be injecting resin (rather than banging glass capsules)- the resins are fairly gooey so it wouldn't be a disaster.

Sponsored Links
Pfffff im really not looking forward to this lol.

Yeah its a party wall so its next doors loft on the other side.

Ive already brought them glass resin raw plugs.

Looks like i have all the information i need now so i cant put it off any longer lol.

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back