Can I brick up a garage door with a wall and windo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new place with an integral garage which i do not intend to use a car in ever. The garage doors are wooden and rotting and i will have to replace them soonish.

Can i just take them out and get some one to brick up the gap with window in keeping with the exterior of the house?

I do not want to do a full conversion, it has light and power, i am thinking of using it for storage and maybe some gym equipment.

At some point in the future i may fully convert but right now i dont have the cash or need to do so

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately you may require planning permission and/or building regulation approval.

Lifted from the Planning Portal;

Under new regulations that came into effect from 1 October 2008 the permitted development regime covering garage conversions changed and planning permission is not usually required, providing the work is internal and does not involve enlarging the building.

Sometimes permitted development rights have been removed from some properties with regard to garage conversions and therefore you should contact your local planning authority before proceeding, particularly if you live on a new housing development or in a conservation area.

Here's a link;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommongarageconversion/

You will require Building Regs approval if you intend using it as a habitable space.

thanks for the replies

basically it will be storage and maybe basic gym equipment for now.

does that count as not habitable?

Sponsored Links
So... it may be cheaper just to replace the existing garage doors (and frames) with new to prevent getting involved with the local planning and building control departments.

So... it may be cheaper just to replace the existing garage doors (and frames) with new to prevent getting involved with the local planning and building control departments.

That is plan b ! I may get ones with windows at the top so I get some extra natural light coming in and brick up behind them.

Or unless you wanted to go a little further and install a velux/sunpipe, which don't "normally" require planning or building regulation approval.

Or unless you wanted to go a little further and install a velux/sunpipe, which don't "normally" require planning or building regulation approval.

The garage is integral so there is a room above it. How would I fit a velux or sunpipe?

Mind u the house is detached could I put a window in the side wall?

Well yeh... if it wasn't integral then that could have been an option.

A new "window" will require planning permission.

Basically... yes :)

In some situations, if people have a door that leads to outside from the gargae, they remove it and replace with a window. This isn't so bad as forming a new opening for a new window and it's more likely to be favoured by the local authority and you'd be using the existing lintel so there would be no structural alterations... just a small bit of infill below the new window. But... whether that would achieve enough natural light is another thing AND you may run the risk of then creating an inner room situation, which may involve Building Reg's.

There is an internal door to the back of the garage but no decent light will come through it and we need it to access the garage anyway.

I think garage doors with the biggest windows i can find is the way to go and then brick up the inside of the door.

That way the bricks could always be removed at a later stage to either do a full conversion or if we wanted to revert back to opening the garage door.

I suppose it stops cowboy stuff but planning is a pain

DD are you saying that if you replace the garage door with a window it'll need PP? That's not my understanding.

DD are you saying that if you replace the garage door with a window it'll need PP? That's not my understanding.
Lifted from the Planning Portal;

Under new regulations that came into effect from 1 October 2008 the permitted development regime covering garage conversions changed and planning permission is not usually required, providing the work is internal and does not involve enlarging the building.

That's not the way I read it either;
Sometimes permitted development rights have been removed from some properties with regard to garage conversions and therefore you should contact your local planning authority before proceeding,
Rather than speculate, this would seem to be your next logical move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back