Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a garage conversion.
I intend to get a builder to brick up the front of the garage and install a window but to save money do most of the internals myself.
The garage has a solid concrete base, walls are 2 courses of bricks and then thermalite blocks.
I plan to have a suspended wooden floor with insulation underneath to bring it up to height with the rest of the house.
In terms of the floor is it acceptable to have the floor plates sat on blockwork for support or do these have to be screwed into the wall?
If the latter what should I be looking to use in terms of fixings? The garage length is about 4m.

Sponsored Links
Produce your plans and submit with your building control application, and you will get approval, or not. The floor plates can be on blockwork if you want to build it that way.

I am planning a garage conversion.
I intend to get a builder to brick up the front of the garage and install a window but to save money do most of the internals myself.
The garage has a solid concrete base, walls are 2 courses of bricks and then thermalite blocks.
I plan to have a suspended wooden floor with insulation underneath to bring it up to height with the rest of the house.
In terms of the floor is it acceptable to have the floor plates sat on blockwork for support or do these have to be screwed into the wall?
If the latter what should I be looking to use in terms of fixings? The garage length is about 4m.
Have you thought about the venting headache regards a STF and considered an alternative? We'd opt for PIR and screed. We'd brick up to DPC then do the floor detail and as much of the internals as possible, before bricking the remainder of the frontage up. Another solution would be floated deck over solid PIR. Suspended timber, whilst easy to install is a ball ache to vent.

Sponsored Links
That won't work unless you have about 450 drop, and able to cross ventilate.

Normally the joists will be close to the slab, and insulated fully under and between with no air voids.

See the numerous garage conversion threads in the building forum for floor construction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back