Garage Conversion - Door Replaced With Wall & Window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bit confused when a garage conversion requires planning permission, and when it does not.

Does a garage conversion require planning permission if it is having the door removed and a cavity wall and window inserted in its place?

Likewise, if a bay window was being inserted in place of the garage door, would that require planning permission, despite a bay window being within the permitted development area?

Sponsored Links
Replacing a garage door with a window with wall beneath and converting the garage is usually Permitted Development unless you are in a conservation area or other oddity or you have had some PD rights removed (check with your planning department they will tell you over the phone).
Adding a bay window that projects beyond the face of the existing garage wall will require planning permission if the wall is consider to be on the principal elevation (or usually the one facing the road)

I am a bit confused when a garage conversion requires planning permission, and when it does not.

Does a garage conversion require planning permission if it is having the door removed and a cavity wall and window inserted in its place?

Likewise, if a bay window was being inserted in place of the garage door, would that require planning permission, despite a bay window being within the permitted development area?

Hello

A garage requires planning permission if you are altering the external apperance, i.e removing roller shutter door and replacing with door and window. So to answer your question, yes to door being removed and replaced by a bay window. PD rights are when you want to create new space without having the need for planning permission. In this case, you are altering rather than creating. Hope this helps, Inder

Sponsored Links
Could anyone confirm which answer is the correct one please :)?

Replacing a garage door with a window with wall beneath and converting the garage is usually Permitted Development unless you are in a conservation area or other oddity or you have had some PD rights removed (check with your planning department they will tell you over the phone).
Adding a bay window that projects beyond the face of the existing garage wall will require planning permission if the wall is consider to be on the principal elevation (or usually the one facing the road)

A garage requires planning permission if you are altering the external apperance, i.e removing roller shutter door and replacing with door and window.
Where would I find this legislation you speak of Inder?

Look at the Planning Portal "house diagram" and point to the garage. Sometimes PD rights can be removed from properties with regard to garage conversions, in particular on a new housing development or in a conservation area.

So, the answer is yes and no, dependant on where you are living. Best advice is to phone Planners and see what they say. If they give a verbal confirmation that PP is not required, follow up the phone call with a letter confirming the conversation. Inder

Please try to pay attention! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back