Garage conversion loophole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning to convert a detached garage into living accommodation and have been told we would need planning permission to make the exterior elevational changes necessary - i.e. replacing the garage door with a low wall and windows - but wouldn't need permission for any interior changes.

Then we came up with a slightly crazy-sounding idea - keep the existing garage door and build the new wall/windows just behind it. Is it possible that this would constitute making internal changes only. In reality most of the time in daylight the door would be left open but when closed the garage would look exactly as it always has done.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
That's what a planning consultant told us. I think it's because it would constitute a change to the exterior appearance of the garage.

It is rare that converting a garage requires planning permission so I would be hesitant to agree. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/garageconversion/ I would ask him why he thinks it needs permission. Sometimes conversion of a garage is restricted as a condition of the original planning permission and there can be a few other odd reasons but they are generally rare unless its a newish house and in any case PP would be required for the inside alterations too so its odd that your 'planning consultant' thinks you need permission for the externals only.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for taking an interest. Yes I have looked on the planning portal site. The only conditions that were placed on the garage were that it cannot be used for commercial purposes. So I'm not sure about the reasons the consultant thinks we need PP, other than those already mentioned.

He wrote this: "The extent of elevational changes to make it convertible to an annex would require planning permission, but once the alterations are completed, I confirm its subsequent use as an annex should not require planning permission, but this needs to be established by submitting a Certificate of Lawful Use application."

I should probably add that as well as filling in the garage door we were also planning to put in a window elsewhere - so those two things would be the 'extent of the elevational changes'.

I could speak to him again for clarification but he's very busy and I thought I might get quicker responses here.

The amount of glazing is irrelevant. Any ‘planning consultant’ who needs to submit a Certificate of Lawful Use application just to establish if it is PD or not for a garage conversion is not much of a planning consultant! You know you don’t actually need a CLD anyway right? Too busy??? Probably reading up on PD the Muppet and realises he’s screwed up and too embarrassed to take your call!! Employ him at your peril. Or he’s just ripping you off!

edit: Gah tony beat me to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back