Can I cap a disused soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 2 toilets feeding into an old foul drain branch and 1 toilet feeding into a newer branch. The underground run of the old pipe has developed a leak and we are getting some foul water in the void under the house. I plan to divert the downpipe with the 2 toilets to the new branch and so we will have 3 toilets on one pipe, which is conventionally vented at the top.

My question is, can I simply cap off the old soil pipe at ground level? It won't be individually vented but is connects into the sewer system only a few feet from the new pipe.

Sponsored Links
Yes, as long as the new pipe is vented as you say. You should try to avoid bends in the downpipe though.

Thanks Sooey.

A further question - what are the chances of my building insurance paying out on the problem described in my original post? i.e. possibly lining the leaking pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back