Can i change it myself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,i have a hot water cylinder that is leaking from the base.It is a Malvern Boilers indirect cylinder 900 x 500.I have sourced a similar sized cylinder and would like to have a go at the job myself.The cylinder has 1 inlet from the cold water tank in the attic and 1 outlet at the top for the taps and return overflow.There are also 2 outlets at the side of the tank,presumably for the heating.How difficult will the job be?

Sponsored Links
How good are you at plumbing?

For a pro it should be a piece of plss with the right parts.. For my neighbour or wife, impossible. For my dad an afternoon in the cellar with a few beers.

Hi Dan.I have done a fair bit of plumbing but never been asked to fit a cylinder before.

Sponsored Links
As it is a straight swap there should not be a problem then.The element is fairly new so i should be able to re-use this too?

Ok GeckoGas got it now.After i have completed the work i must advise my local Buiding Regulations Dept as i am not on the Competent Pesons scheme.I take it that they will inspect the work and give me said certificate of Part L compliance.

Put it this way, juat had the pleasure of a drink with a bloke wearing a pillow case for a t shirt who I sent to drain down cylinder. Hearing his screams I shot upsatirs, he cut all pipe big time instead of testing with care. In the evenbt though he had opened drain off and water seemed at first to come out of it, scale blocked it soon afterwards, leaving rest of water to cascade past his pathetic attenpts to plug it after he cavalier fashion cut pipes..

Is a like for like change notifiable? I am not registered on a plumbing competent persons scheme, but just add it onto the canine gods notification as open vented cylinder. Seems to cover me if they let me do it :eek:

Just do it, no b***er will know- if you do it right of course :D
It is a simple job for a competent DIYer.
Don't get the frig**g Council involved :evil:

Notifiability of DHW cylinders has been debated before. chrishutt even asked the ODPM (as it was at the time) for a clarification, but AFAIK never received one.

It does seem that even an open vented replacement is notifiable, but I've never met anyone who regularly does so. I daresay the LABC would be overwhelmed with paperwork if we all did.

Thanks for all comments.Well i had a go at it myself.Everything went well.
Drained down and removed old cylinder.
Fitted new cylinder and original element.
Re-filled cylinder.
Thats when problems arose.I have 3 small leaks from the new couplings i used on the cold water feed connection,the feed and flow connections for the heating.All were finger tightened and then 1/2 turn to finish.I also used some gas ptfe instead of the normal on the threads.
Any suggestions?

haveagoyourself said:
Thats when problems arose.I have 3 small leaks from the new couplings i used on the cold water feed connection,the feed and flow connections for the heating.All were finger tightened and then 1/2 turn to finish.I also used some gas ptfe instead of the normal on the threads.
Any suggestions?

tighten them further? :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back