Can i change it myself

Cheers nickso,don't want to tighten them too much because the cylinder is made of thin sheet copper and could possibly kink the fitting.

Sponsored Links
haveagoyourself said:
Cheers nickso,don't want to tighten them too much because the cylinder is made of thin sheet copper and could possibly kink the fitting.

they will take far more abuse than you would think. i would say they are definately too slack if you only tightened them a 1/2 turn past finger tight.

Drain the heating side, remove the primary couplings and remake the threaded connections using PTFE and LSX. Leave for 30 mins before filling.

OOI, what type of couplings onto the cylinder are you using?

Hi Softus.Thanks for that i will give it a go.The couplings are 2 female brass cylinder couplings.Bottom one has 28mm outlet and top one has 22mm outlet.Header tank feed is male with 22mm outlet.

Sponsored Links
Softus wrote:
It does seem that even an open vented replacement is notifiable
This isn't my understanding but, as you say, this is unclear and has been discussed before.
I've never met anyone who regularly does so.
Neither have I
I daresay the LABC would be overwhelmed with paperwork if we all did.
Oh yes :LOL:

Paul Barker said:
Put it this way, juat had the pleasure of a drink with a bloke wearing a pillow case for a t shirt who I sent to drain down cylinder. Hearing his screams I shot upsatirs, he cut all pipe big time instead of testing with care. In the evenbt though he had opened drain off and water seemed at first to come out of it, scale blocked it soon afterwards, leaving rest of water to cascade past his pathetic attenpts to plug it after he cavalier fashion cut pipes..

Another one to put in the diary of the ups and downs of a plumber Paul-you'll look back on these in years to come and have a good laugh,not funny at the time I know but you gotta laugh-made me laugh anyway. :D :D Pillow case for a tee shirt... :D :D

Many thanks Softus.Got the LSX applied it to the threads and wrapped them in PTFE.Left them for 1/2 hour,refilled the cylinder and the jobs a good un.Once again thanks to Softus and all the replies i received.

Rob

chr15 said:
Paul Barker said:
Put it this way, juat had the pleasure of a drink with a bloke wearing a pillow case for a t shirt who I sent to drain down cylinder. Hearing his screams I shot upsatirs, he cut all pipe big time instead of testing with care. In the evenbt though he had opened drain off and water seemed at first to come out of it, scale blocked it soon afterwards, leaving rest of water to cascade past his pathetic attenpts to plug it after he cavalier fashion cut pipes..

Another one to put in the diary of the ups and downs of a plumber Paul-you'll look back on these in years to come and have a good laugh,not funny at the time I know but you gotta laugh-made me laugh anyway. :D :D Pillow case for a tee shirt... :D :D

The full story is it was a pair of "general builders". Actually they were good lads, one a plasterer and the other ex 20 years with 22 para.

I was very impressed with the abilities of the ex para, who had been given some training to help in find work like this before he finished his 20 years service. The sort of things about him that will make him a success, is he paid attention to what I said and showed him the whole time, his hands were strong and steady and had the ability to do efficiently exactly what was needed (that might seem a stupid observation to a non tradesman, but most people when they come to us haven't got decent hand brain coordination). When a bloke in the pub kept digging his finger in him he said "istop poking me " once, next poke he took his finger and broke it. I said "why did did you have to break it?" He said "well I wasn't going to play with it". No nonsense, you get what you see. Not agressive just straight. Yes, nice bloke, I hoipe it works out for him in civvy street.

Thninks "might introduce him to a few ex customers that have forgotten to pay"

Paul Barker said:
When a bloke in the pub kept digging his finger in him he said "istop poking me " once, next poke he took his finger and broke it.

I hope it works out for him in civvy street.

I doubt it with that attitude, as he might meet someone who may break his arm. He may be in for a rude awakening as many ex forces people experience.

just a note from experience, when fitting couplings to a cylinder there is no such thing as too much PTFE!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back