Can i convert a sky installation to freesat

No. So a block of flats have one satellite dish, but 20 people get a signal from that one dish. You state that there is no type of splitter device used. So where do I buy this wonder LNB device from? If as you state, that splitters are not involved? :eek:

Ah a multiswitch has been mentioned by the last poster. Is multiswitch not another term for a splitter?

Oh good grief, you really are out of your depth here, aren't you.

1) did the OP mention they live in a block of flats?.... Er, No!

2) the head end of a communal satellite viewing system is very different to domestic systems, and since we are talking about a domestic viewing system let's just stick to what's appropriate

3) when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging ;)

Look, just admit that you're learning about satellite systems and take a step back from this one. Leave it to those of us who know what we are doing, eh?

A multiswitch is a matrix based distribution amplifier. It won't work correctly with a regular Quad LNB. It has to be used with a Quattro LNB where all four permutations of High/Low and Horizontal/Vertical are made available. The multiswitch handles the requests from each sat box and serves the correct permutation for the channel(s) requested.

As far as the OP's question is concerned we have probably covered this in more than enough detail now.

Sponsored Links
Ah a multiswitch has been mentioned by the last poster. Is multiswitch not another term for a splitter?
Only if you have a VERY loose definition of the word "spliiter". You CANNOT get a device that will take the feed intended for a single sattelite tuner and allow correct operation of more than one sattalite tuner.

A multiswitch is a complex active device that takes FOUR separate feeds from a LNB (most multiswitches use a special quattro LNB but you can get ones that can work with a regular quad LNB) which provides it with all four frequency/polarisation combinations. Internal switching systems in the multiswitch then provide the feed that the receiver requested. Many multiswitches can also mix in TV/FM/DAB signals for use in integrated reception systems.

For really big blocks of flats you can have splitters BEFORE the multiswitches.

Due to the price of multiswitches they are not worth installing unless you need to run more than 8 satellite tuners off a single dish.

No. So a block of flats have one satellite dish, but 20 people get a signal from that one dish. You state that there is no type of splitter device used. So where do I buy this wonder LNB device from? If as you state, that splitters are not involved? :eek:

Oh good grief, you really are out of your depth here, aren't you.

1) did the OP mention they live in a block of flats?.... Er, No!

2) the head end of a communal satellite viewing system is very different to domestic systems, and since we are talking about a domestic viewing system let's just stick to what's appropriate

3) when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging ;)

Look, just admit that you're learning about satellite systems and take a step back from this one. Leave it to those of us who know what we are doing, eh?

A multiswitch is a matrix based distribution amplifier. It won't work correctly with a regular Quad LNB. It has to be used with a Quattro LNB where all four permutations of High/Low and Horizontal/Vertical are made available. The multiswitch handles the requests from each sat box and serves the correct permutation for the channel(s) requested.

As far as the OP's question is concerned we have probably covered this in more than enough detail now.

So you finally admit that you are incorrect. Well done. I was asking you the question, that you put to me, not the OP, as you went off topic, again, as usual.

So what is the difference between Quad, and Quattro, which means the same thing? I'm thinking the advert for Audi Quattro, which means four wheel drive, Quad, means the same....

It's already been explained to you, you're just too dense to see the difference.

Leave the topic to those who know what they're doing.

Sponsored Links
Your questions have all been answered. It's up to you now to understand what has been written.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back