Can i cut 80mm hole in teracotta drain ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got an 80mm french drain to put in my garden and need to connect it into my water drain but the trap drain that i need to connect it to is an older square terracota one. I can obviously dig it all out and replace it with a plastic one but i wondered if anyone had ever managed to cut a hole in one of these ? I've had a look on the internet but all results point to cutting holes in plant pots so although i could happily cut something like a 20mm hole into it i'm not sure if i can but an 80mm hole into it ?
It's not a major issue if i can't but it'll save me having to dig it all out to replace it and then i'd still have to find something with either an 80mm hole in it or make another hole anyway ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I honestly don’t know, but I would get some terracotta to do some trials on?

you could try stitch drilling, or buy a hole saw. The hard part could be stopping waste going down the drain, and having to dig it out if it all goes wrong. I might try water on the hole saw as it cuts, or a ceramic tile bit (not hammer) if stitching.

Stitch drilling might be an option...i didn't think of that...i've got some ceramic/tile bits, thanks

Sponsored Links
I reckon digging it out, cutting the clay pipe (easy with a grinder) and replacing with a clay to plastic adapter and plastic gully would be easier than messing about trying to cut into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back