Can I cut this joist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm half way through a loft conversion at present (see here), and I've realised there's potential to improve the head room on the first floor stairs by cutting one of the joists. Unforunately I'd already put the loft stairs in place before I realised this, so you might have to use your imagination with this picture...

The floor joists (~50 x 175) run perpendicular to the stairway, there's a retaining wall below the joists on the left side of the stairs, and the external wall is on the right. My question is can I cut back one of the floor joists to the retaining wall? I'm only expecting a 'probably yes' or 'probably not' answer, I'll get a structural engineer round to confirm but I'd like to know if anyone thinks it would be a waste of time? Here's another older picture that might help explain what I'm babbling on about, the joist I want to cut is the one at the bottom...

Any advice much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
To be honest the second picture doesn't make anything clear to me at all, but looking at the first picture I'm assuming you mean the joist directly above the stairs that currently has a cable dangling over it?
If this is the case then you answer as far as I can see is "probably yes"

Yeh that's the one. Sorry I couldn't get any better pictures, the chipboard goes underneath the stairs so I'd have to do some cutting to expose the joists again.

Take the boarding up and post another photo of the actual joist you wish to remove..

Sponsored Links
Take the boarding up and post another photo of the actual joist you wish to remove..
Get someone in qualified to give a suggestion. Beyond the 'proberbly yes' which i would agree with, from photos, its very hard to say. Can you confirm both of of the walls the preposed cut ends would sit on are brick?

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back