Can I demolish this wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought an old house and in the boiler cupboard there's a brick made enclosure. Not sure what the purpose of this is because it's sat on floor boards.

It's is being used at the moment as a base for the for the hot water cylinder, but that's going to be removed and the heating system will be upgraded.

Anyway, can I knock down this small brick made enclosure.. or does it have some kind of purpose I'm not aware of?

I've taken some pictures of the inside of the enclosure as well through a hole at the top

Attachments

• PXL_20210605_131806620.jpg
    PXL_20210605_131806620.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Sorry will upload more photos.. having issues uploading

Sponsored Links
Some of the bricks are going into the the main breeze block wall.. was thinking of grinding them

Hi Teaboyjim,

Hard to say from those pics. Is anything resting on top of the walls? I removed a similar one in a previous house. I chipped plaster away from the top to be sure it wasn't taking any load (there was a half inch gaps at the top) and just took it out.

Is it brick or breeze block? If breeze you could probably chisel them in half rather than grind. Far less dust

Are the breeze blocks a bricked up fireplace? And the bricks that you want to demolish the back of the old chimney?

The 'wall' I want rid of is red bricks. The breeze bricks are the main exterior wall.. I'm not sure they are breeze bricks, they're black and are part of the main exterior wall That's all I can tell you.

The bricks I want to get rid of are the red bricks. They've been made into a kind of small table.. with the hw cylinder sat on top. And they're built on top of floorboards (with no wall underneath). Pretty safe to demolish I think. It's only about 6 bricks X 6 bricks X 1.5 bricks

Maybe remnants of a chimney. But very odd. Why would they have removed the rest of it and not this bit. plus the house has two other separate chimneys

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back