can they demolish one of a semi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I was talking to a guy who owns a business next-door-but-one in my street. Known him for 20 years and always got on great. He shocked me by saying if the old hermit/hoarder who lives next door to me (attached) moves/dies he would buy it, demolish it and make car parking for his business, the other side. Also it would widen his entrance so lorries could enter.His business only has parking for 2 cars and quite often you daren't move your car up our street or you will never be able to park for hours.
He was so matter of fact even when I pointed out I was attached to said house. Is he right in thinking he can just demolish it? It has a 200 foot long garden so would create loads of parking, but................
The house isn't listed but 1890's brick. The hoarder hasn't touched it since the 70's and it is full of narrow pathways inside floor to ceiling papers etc. He has rats too, but it would fetch £180K as is, so could be done up. I hate living next door, but a car park?//?????

If he did demolish would he have to insulate the new exposed wall that was between out houses - we can hear him stir his tea and some floor boards go through the brick so when he walks on them ours lifts a fraction .
thanks

Sponsored Links
Is he right in thinking he can just demolish it?
Can? - yes, as long as he does it properly (which will involve more than just knocking it down and carting the rubble away).

May? - No PP needed for the demolition is my understanding.

the council can refuse if theres a shortage off housing in your area
they can also decide the need for parking is greater

Or you could buy it...

Phone call to the planning office could help clear it up i guess.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Probably no planning reason why he couldn't demolish but he would certainly have to serve a party wall notice on you as the adjoining owner. The party wall notice is your way of making sure everything is done to correct standards and regulations. If it does come to it, you need to be on the ball. The first sign of any knocking down get yourself down the court to seek an injunction.

Of course he does need planning permission for a car park. No saying he'll definitely get that.

Long shot, but you could explore if it is viable to get the building listed....

Obviously this depends on the type of building, how architecturally unique it is and what original features still exist among many other considerations.

I do not know how viable an option that would be but you have a better chance the older the property is.

However, you may also want to consider the downsides of having a listed property.

Good luck....

I am surprised things have been allowed to get this far already with regard to next door. Apart from a health hazard, I would imagine it is also a major fire hazard, and if the walls are that thin I'd be extremely concerned in your shoes. :eek:

HI Hugh,
I know its surprising it can go this far, but there seems bugger all you can do. The guy was our Parish Councillor for years, 4 generations from the village etc etc and whenever we have tried to force him to do repairs etc we are told we cant or solicitors advise us to either put 1000's & 1000's (knowing his attitude) aside or keep talking to him. We even offered to pay for his side of the chimney to be repointed (it falls off onto the pavement) and his roof where we join, but he stood on the pavement filming our contractor to make sure he never touched his property. Our guttering goes round his side to the down pipe and in winter the water drips through and an ice pyramid appears. Ivy has grown all over the back of his house so he hasn't been able to get out of the door or open the windows for at least 12 years. In his working life he worked in London for a Union. I have seem many pictures of him with various prime ministers so was obviously successful at his job. You can argue with him but you get know where. His garden is 10-12 foot brambles, I always have to repair his fence or replace because he wont and the brambles just invade
Maybe a car park wont be so bad after all. Cheers everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back