Driveway - Dropping of the frontage/curb

and the way he blocks the street from busses and trucks to go past

Just a thought, can a Fire Engine get passed when his truck is outside?

If not then this might be another avenue to go down as a Health and safety issue.

Andy

hi Andy

yes but only just. busses can go past, but they have to go so slow and i have been in my car and seen only a few inches cap as it goes past.
re the fire truck access? i know they have gone past my house and still very slowly they can get past

the funny thing is is that he hs gone away doing some off roading of something this weekend, but he has parked his land rover up onto the pavement as to where the taper curb issue is!! so even if they were going to do the work they can not now, because he is as usual abusing the road and other users

it is so very sad, and i know i am getting to become like a victor mildrew about all this lol.

i just want to live me live and my 4 kids and 2 cats and a gorgeous wife and just live!!!!! but some people are simply happy to be the way they are to simply have everything suitable to them and them only

but the funny thing is is that he might be planning a drop curb blah blah blah.. but he will never be able to park any heavy goods van nor hgv's on his driveway ??lol

so once he has all this work done i will be dropping him in it with the hgv dept, and he can go whistle dixie for parking a hgv on a public road

Sponsored Links
I am very surprised Highways are letting him 'walk all over them'. The vehicle is causing an obstruction preventing them from carrying out works to the Highway, I would have expected the Police to 'have a word' and get the vehicle moved so Highways could carry out works as required.

What would happen if National Grid Gas or another utility needed to excavate in an emergency or Highways wanted to resurface the road? Would he move it then? :confused:

Hi Huge J
yes i know what you mean, but it is so bad a situation that he even parks his white transit + Gas works van+ trailer, His range rover + a Pug 207 up along on the pavement by over 60% area of pathway on the other side.. and they still do nothing!!! but his driveway is clear.. lol.

kinda bored and tired of people having no balls to do anything, where as i am powerless for the safety and concerns of all my neighbours and users of the road.

As a year or so ago, a neighbours young daughter of 11 or 12 years of age was knocked down whilst crossing the very same area of road, as she miss judged the car and it's speed, and she fell to the road as she clipped the back of the car! she was ok but very shaken up. but even after that the parking issues has never been questioned.

Complain to the council that they aren't using their powers. The neighbour is obstructing the road and they are entitled to tell him to shift his vehicles. I'm not sure if the council can get them removed, but the police certainly can.
Just think, truck, van, couple of cars - that'll add up to some removal and storage charges he'll have to pay to get them back out ;)

A friend of mine had his car "nicked" in London. Reported it stolen and the police told him they had it in their pound. Now my mate is a bit of a "doesn't beat about the bush" type in conversations, but I suspect the chap behind the counter at the pound had heard it all before - and wasn't going to accept any protestations about it being legally parked. While my mate was adamant he wasn't giving them some three figure sum.
But he had a happy ending ! By pure luck, there was a lady working there who recognised the vehicle. He worked nights, and she'd noticed this vehicle that didn't fit in with normal commuting patterns. She was able to point out that she'd seen it legally parked there.
They'd only gone and towed it away and then painted the yellow lines after removing it.

Sponsored Links
Jay, just keep on to your local council. No doubt , you are paying the council for the work to drop your kerb. If they uphold the laws then they are entitled to tow his vehicle away to allow work to progress. Have a word with your local councillor too. Get him on your side and you'll be surprised how quickly the council will sort it out. . ;) ;)

Another possibility for you. Do you have any police supported local community groups for your area? We have one here that's attended by the actual police who're on our beat and the residents and it works pretty well. We can raise issues with them directly and they quite proactive about them. We get all kinds of things sorted out and feedback on them too. It's a two way street.

Oh, and the database at askMID dot com also is very handy for checking our if your insurance details are up to date too.

Hi peet

it is insured, but cheers for the info

i will look into the local community groups and the other info as a last resort

the sad thing is, is that this guy had in the past been done for parking on the pavement.. been done for damage to the pavement outside his/my house due to his use and abuse in using his 14t hgv truck for popping wheels of the rims (using his out riggers to push the rubber off) all this was before we moved in?? 7 years ago
and the local police would ride past on his bike and simply swerve to avoid the parked vans and trucks

not sure what they do other than ride about the area :eek:/

why not arrange a day for the council to start work, and pay a local recovery company to drag his truck across to his house in the morning?

lol.. yeah but the team set to do the work never get back to me with a fixed date, due to poor weather we had and now having again in the area.
so nothing is for sure.
besides i have better things to spend my money on than my twt of a neighbour

If they delay again "because the vehicles are in the way" then I'd be writing to the head of the council why they are wasting money on aborted jobs when they have the legal powers to just have the vehicles removed as an obstruction. Presumably you've already paid for the work, so you should have a reasonable expectation of it being done in a timely manner.

Are there any rules/guidelines on how long the council can take to do paid work like this ?

Hi SimonH2
Hi there, yes yes and no.. lol

mmm where was i? no i have not paid for it yet, but it is due to be done within a 2 month window i had been told, but the deposit has been paid and the rest due 30 days after work is completed.
so hence no such rush for me.. but! this should have been done some 8-10 weeks ago.
i know what you are saying but i am not like that, and happy to wait and let my neighbour get what he wants too.. within reason of delay in how long he takes in getting the ok from planning.
but thats a "wait n see" i recon!
time will tell as I have waited so long anyways it is no problem for a little wait more

but in principal it should have been done and yes they should have removed the offending trucks and cars and got on n do the job. but that is the council for you
plus it is also the guys working for the council too.. they are all locals and they like to give a bit of give n take to help out other locals.. which again is cool.
but not when the council official had on purpose started a dispute with myself and my neighbour re a boundary line matter.. re my fence line being out by 11" to our joint gutter/downpipe and party wall line. the fence was replaced like for like from original boundary line fence.
so that is when the stinky mudd hit the fan. but he was completely in the wrong and should not have started issues between houses when he was there to only sort out a major oil/fuel leak from the offending truck a year or so ago
the guy just said, "look mate just put some sand down and that will do???" lmao
these are council official supervisors and planners
no wonder i am other neighbours along my road have problems when no one has the balls to stand up when they have the power to do so. like the council planners and supervisors

so to answer your question... they are happy to waste money and time and as long as they are looking busy they are A1 ok.

Oh... just had a call from the planning dept
they are looking at doing the dropping of the curb in the next 2 - 4 weeks including mr next doors. (he is paying for his area, or more like daddy is) as they are just in the process of approving his application now (so i was just told )

so happy days woohooop whooop whooo

but i know this is not the end to the saga.. so i will let you know what happens next lmao

just a final thought

i hope one day him next door might actually say hi to me and my family, and not be prejudice towards us because of his needs seemed greater to him ( i do understand we all have our needs) and also because of his father showing his true colours and to not be the fools that they have shown to be in the past.

oh please understand i do not miss neighbourly friendship (if you like) as such! but i do miss the friendly banter and also the easiness of living next door to a guy with more cars and vans and LandyDisco's, one could shake a stick at lol. better the devil you know as they say.. but really he ain't that bad.

but who knows where this will go from here, eh?

how much is this costing you to have done?

i want to get the curb outside my new house lowered but im not sure i can afford it. might have to resort to the old DIY fencepost approach for now. :mrgreen:

Hi Chaard

so i am still waiting for the dropping of me kerb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the cost has gone up as i was quoted some 2 years ago, and it goes up every april or so with council rises in costs of work n so on.

it all depends on the work involved? single or double drop?
any utility points.. water or gas pipe access covers and fire hydrant water marker.. which would need relocating

i would imagine a single drop kerb now is about £600 - £800 + vat plus any extras. Oh and £50 - £80 for the application.. even if you get a resounding "NO" to the proposed plans

you need to go on the local council planning www.. they will have the basic prices there for you to look over. and other info that you will be interested to read about, such as regs and do's n do'nts

but i think you can get any company to do the work, provided they have an S171 Licence Application costing £200 or so.. + 10million insurance cover or something like that.

not sure if i am correct but hey.. phone up your local council office and they will help you out more.

...yeh I can't afford that. Seems like a LOT of money! If it were my 'forever home' or I had an expensive car I might consider it but my 206 would cost about 2k.

I'll go for the DIY approach. Any recommendations anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back