How to stop water getting through suspended driveway and pooling on ground?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, hoping someone might have a bright idea on this one as my house has an unusual construction so nothing searchable online. Basically the floors are reversed so that the door entryway is on the 'top floor' which is accessible through a suspended driveway accessed through the street. Downstairs, beneath the suspended driveway is a constant drip-drip of water which is getting through the driveway and pooling on the floor, which has caused damage to the outside wall amongst other things.

A diagram of what this looks like is below.

What would be best to fix this? The top layer of the driveway is currently an old cracked bitumen so I will be getting this redone but what is the best material to prevent water getting through / longevity so it doesn't eventually give in and let in water? (a lot of my other neighbours have different styles of driveway but the water still looks to get through on a few of them so I want to put thought into it to ensure this doesn't happen to me). Ta very much
House Diagram.png

Sponsored Links
What is the floor make up? Is there just a concrete slab under the bitumen driveway? Is your house driveway joined to the neighbours? Some photos would help.

Hey thanks for the response, yeah that's right it's a series of concrete slabs and the two driveways are joined - thinking of getting whatever new layer over both driveways potentially so no gaps inbetween them

Hey thanks for the response, yeah that's right it's a series of concrete slabs and the two driveways are joined - thinking of getting whatever new layer over both driveways potentially so no gaps inbetween them
Is this a leaky roof issue or a leaky walls issue too? Loving these zero pictures - cryptic posts.

Sponsored Links
What decorative surface finish do you want? My initial thoughts are to remove the bitmac layer, clean it up really well, roll out EPDM and pour a concrete screed over it to protect it and provide a running surface for vehicles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back