Building a garage attached to my house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys…

I want to build a brick garage with a tiled pitched roof on the side of my house (tiled and pitched to match other properties with garages in my street), however I would appreciate some feedback on typical costs and things to consider. My house is a typical 2 storey semi, I have a driveway that goes right up the side of the house and extends a further 3m past the front door to the road. The driveway is only 2.6m wide and next to my driveway is my neighbours driveway of the same length. I have a few questions:

1. Is my driveway too thin to build a garage? (It would be attached to my house at one side).
2. Where the garage would be is my current kitchen window, I presume I would have to brick this up.
3. Could I use the kitchen window for the back end of the garage to let light in?
4. Foundations will be needed, what do I need to do about digging when my neighbours driveway is right next to mine?
5. Average length of a garage is 5.5m-6m, does this sound ok?
6. Lastly and very important, what is the ball park figure on this type of build?

I am sure this will prompt questions so please let me have some pointers, I’ve not thought about planning oer anything yet, this is initial thoughts.
Thanks in advance….
S

Sponsored Links
In terms of price your best bet is to get some local builders round to quote.

I've had prices ranging from 12k to 38k to rebuild the garage, install drainage for downstairs bathroom, take a wall out and put a pitched roof on. Size of garage is 8m x 2.6m

Most say it will cost a maximum of £1000 per m2 but i have had a couple of silly sky high quotes

As for planning you may not need it as long as you don't build out past the front of the house. You may just get away with submitting a building control notice but check with your local planning office.

as to all you Q&A yes too all it sound fine too me too build it ect
as for the footing id say 1.5m deep double skin block/brick work will be fine hira a man and mini diger in for the day to dig the footings
and the floor out get the the concrete ready mixed its a bit more £££
but it will be a peace of mind in the long run youll knw the builders havent put a load of crap it the hole
things that will be ££
what finish you want out side renderd/face bricks
electrics/electric doors
roof tiles and how the joist work is done is it pre made or made on site

last but not least the plans youll need some sort of plans too put in too the building office first befor you even get the shovel out
if it breaches regs in any way your snookerd youll need bilding permision coz of the size and hight of it
just think youll build it then have too take it down if they say its not allowed
cover your arse now befor ou get a builder in and it will protect you if the builder ****s up

Great thanks for the info guys, re the double skin, could I use single brick work to save the limited width I have to work with? Outside will just be brick, no rendering, I would also like to see if I can use the pitched roof space for storage of bits and bobs. Definitely need electric in the garage, so will need that too. I will definitely get planning sorted before doing anything. Do I need to get an architect in to help me with this? And I think my best bet is to find someone that can do it all for me and organise the right people…

Sponsored Links
some builders can get the plans drown up if you want brick then single skin thing it will be 9" wall man thats some bricks if your rendering/skimming/D/D plasterboard on the insind give me a shout ill help you out

some builders can get the plans drown up if you want brick then single skin thing it will be 9" wall man thats some bricks if your rendering/skimming/D/D plasterboard on the insind give me a shout ill help you out

Ok cool thanks, what I mean is I want to minimise the thickness of brickwork to maxamise the width available for the garage, so I assumes single skin is single layer of bricks? Sorry if I am not making sense I am not a builder by any means!! :oops:

i get what your saying but building it in a single skin ie 4half ins or 9" wall
is all you have if you want a single skin fook trying too put a pitch roof on a 4half ins wall thats mad
why not use a timber frame and get the out side brick clad renderd too mach in with the house

you said you want pitched tile roof on it thats some waight on there
it get it build out of bloack work and brick claded

i get what your saying but building it in a single skin ie 4half ins or 9" wall
is all you have if you want a single skin fook trying too put a pitch roof on a 4half ins wall thats mad
why not use a timber frame and get the out side brick clad renderd too mach in with the house

Ok thanks, that makse sense to me now, I think I need to get Mr Builder in to recommend the options and explain it to me in leymans terms!

loads of garages are only 4 inch with piers built on, are you seriously saying, timber frame is stronger than brickwork ?????

loads of garages are only 4 inch with piers built on, are you seriously saying, timber frame is stronger than brickwork ?????

Pleny of people on our street have changed their flat roofs for a tiled pitched roof on a single skim brick with piers as well.

Some have put up a timber frame on the inside to take some of the weight.

Have you asked your neighbor if they would want a simular garage? I have seen this done several times before where two garages are built between two semies with a party wall in the centre. This would maximise the internal width of your garage as the wall would be straddling the boundary. I'm not sure what kind of wall the party wall would need to be, I have a relative whi lives in a fairly new house and her garage is attached to the neighbors garage and the party wall only looks like a 4 inch wall with pillars but it maybe diffrent having the garages attached to the houses. I suspect the cost would not be that much higher than building one garage as the common wall could be built with breeze blocks and only the ends would need to be brick and they would be mostly door anyway.

Have you asked your neighbor if they would want a simular garage? I have seen this done several times before where two garages are built between two semies with a party wall in the centre. This would maximise the internal width of your garage as the wall would be straddling the boundary. I'm not sure what kind of wall the party wall would need to be, I have a relative whi lives in a fairly new house and her garage is attached to the neighbors garage and the party wall only looks like a 4 inch wall with pillars but it maybe diffrent having the garages attached to the houses. I suspect the cost would not be that much higher than building one garage as the common wall could be built with breeze blocks and only the ends would need to be brick and they would be mostly door anyway.
Technically the houses would become terraced which may have a detrimental affect on the value when selling up.

as for the footing id say 1.5m deep double skin block/brick work will be fine hira a man and mini diger in for the day to dig the footings
but it will be a peace of mind in the long run youll knw the builders havent put a load of crap it the hole
things that will be ££
electrics/electric doors

last but not least the plans youll need some sort of plans too put in too the building office first befor you even get the shovel out
if it breaches regs in any way your snookerd youll need bilding permision coz of the size and hight of it
just think youll build it then have too take it down if they say its not allowed
cover your a**e now befor ou get a builder in and it will protect you if the builder **** up

nize to cee a man talking cence...

things that will be ££
electrics/electric doors

cover your a**e now befor ou get a builder in and it will protect you if the builder **** up

nize to cee a man talking cence...

Dyslexia????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back