Driveway - Dropping of the frontage/curb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a driveway for maybe 2 cars.

I live in a mid terrace house and my neighbour owns a few cars ..... Mondeo, Suzuki jeep, Fiesta, Discovery, 2 Transit vans, one with pump trailer, and a 7.5t recovery truck.
2 cars are parked on his single driveway but the recovery truck is always parked halfway across the front of my house.

My neighbour says he can only park his 7.5t truck under a street light, as a condition from his insurance Co. This street lamp is right in the middle of my house.
To relocate the street light 3 mtrs along will cost £1900 and £1200 to drop the kerb. £4000 for the driveway bricks n blocks means a total of £7100 plus.

Can the neighbour from hell, stop me from doing this work planned and
has he any right to refuse the planning? Also can he make me drop the kerb the other side of the street light which means I will have a very tight gap.

The neighbour was a decent chap and has helped me in the past and I
have always thought highly of him until today. He has since told me I can not use a dark colour paint to paint my fence !

Has anyone got any advice please?

Sponsored Links
wait till he goes out in it then nick his parking spot since it's in front of your house.. if he needs to park under a street lamp, suggest that he asks the council to move it in front of his own damned house.. at HIS cost..

put the driveway in on your property and the entrance.. the council will then drop the curb free next time they re-do the paths.. ( they did in mom's street anyway.. )

hi ColJack..
yeah good plan... but i work... his truck is only used about once every 10 days.... plus i work from 6 am... till 7pm when i get home of a usual day. so trying to nick the space.. is not a long term answer...
re the free dropping of the curb, if i made my driveway... the pavements are is very good condition... and i can not see them being done for another 15 years or so..
and i can't wait that long... but cheers..a good plan, if it would work.

Sponsored Links
you can get an idea of the problem from the photo i have in my album on the forum.

I feel your pain mate. Seems like a bit of a predicament! You cant really 'nick' his space since its only a short term resolve and either way you still have to get that lamp moved since it will be blocking your future driveway?

If you want to go ahead with this I doubt your neighbour has a leg to stand on or throw a fit because you are going to move the lamp, what objection will he have bar his truck not being lit up? The council if they have half a brain cell will take no notice of that fact. Go tell him to park somewhere else.

He's lifting your leg.

There's no insurance requirement for that. And that's assuming that that thing is even insured in the first place, seeing as he's only carting to and from the banger stadium...

Tie a heavy chain from the axle of his 7.5 ton recovery truck around the street light and next time he drives off he should take the light with him and then grab the parking space.
:LOL: :LOL:

Tie a heavy chain from the axle of his 7.5 ton recovery truck around the street light and next time he drives off he should take the light with him and then grab the parking space.
:LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: Quality

hi ColJack..
yeah good plan... but i work... his truck is only used about once every 10 days.... plus i work from 6 am... till 7pm when i get home of a usual day. so trying to nick the space.. is not a long term answer...
re the free dropping of the curb, if i made my driveway... the pavements are is very good condition... and i can not see them being done for another 15 years or so..
and i can't wait that long... but cheers..a good plan, if it would work.

Buy an old banger for £100, job done.

You will only need planning permission to drop a kerb if it is on a classified road. If this is just a side street, then you apply to the Highways dept of the council (not planning dept), pay the fee and they do the work - no-one can complain

But the thing is, you don't own the street in front of your house. You have no more rights to park there than any other road user, or resident does.

The street light thing is nonsense. Do insurance companies impose such conditions? Is the only street lamp in your town outside your house?

The other thing, no-one can tell you what colour to paint your fence - if you own the fence paint it what colour you like or paint "move your truck" on it if you want to

it is illegal to park a lorry on the street. you must apply for permission to park in a designated premise which is part of your operators license.

hi all..wowh..many replies...
ok..
i know it is not my space outside my house...but i am simply wanting to drop curb it.. to make safe for my family to get in and out of the car.. on my driveway...once i drop it
all the other notes.. i can not remember now..lol. but its all good advice... i will look into it.
cheers..
now...where did i leave that chain and shackle... :evil:
mmmm an old banger out the front for £100... thats a fab idea. but kinda got better things to spend my cash on right now. but i like it... :p

I'll 2nd what Geraint has said, there was a long discussion on gardenlaw.co.uk about parking lorries on the streets.

AFAIK It's a commercial vehicle & should not be parked there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back