Demolishing extension and reinstating original back wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

We have bought a house with a rather dodgy lean-to rear extension which we would like to get demolished. We do not want to replace it with another extension as we think a side extension is more suited to the style of house.

The openings from the house to the extension are through the original window openings so we have assumed that once the extension is demolished we would be able to get replacement windows and patio doors with minimal work required. Besides from filling in the hole where the foundations are we would also need the kitchen sink and a radiator moved back into the main house.

Does anyone know how much this would cost and how long it would take to do? Also has anyone done this? I have searched various websites and I can't find anyone posting a similar question - I am not sure if this is because it is straight forward to do or because no one removes space from their home!

Thanks for your help (this is my first post so please go easy on me!)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Are the walls plastered, i.e. will there be issues regards outside walls with paint and plaster on them?

Also does the water main rise in this part of the building? I guess not if it is an extension.

First thing to do is have a door and window made ready.

Once you have isolated the electrics and plumbing then the main building could be demolished down to the slab in a day. The slab and sub-dpc masonry may also be removed in the same day depending on how it all goes. There is no need to remove the found's unless you actually need to.

If you were serious about a new extension then a soakaway hole for the new extension rainwater could be dug and some of the material chucked in the hole...mebbe...?

You could perhaps get the job done for £3 - 3.5k. A lot more info need though. For all i know you may want solid oak sash windows which would eat into a big part of £3k on their own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back