Demolishing a shared chimney stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We live in a mid terrace Victorian house. The rear chimney was removed from the ground and 1st floor many years before we moved in, and is left in the loft and above roof level. It is crudely supported in the loft, but needs to be demolished really to make it safe.

Our chimney and our neighbour's chimney are joined above roof level (our neighbour's chimney is still complete, but not in use). We would need our chimney demolished above roof level and in the loft, but our neighbour's chimney could just be demolished abvoe roof level.

If our neighbour agrees to the work, will this require a party wall notice?

Also, does this kind of work usually need a structural engineer to be involved?

And does is generally require building control to be involved?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. get a party wall agreement for any future ref. and/or legal inquiry.

2. You do not need a SE. get a local builder.

3. Yes, BCO must be informed.

Note: any future disagreement or an accident on your neighbours roof could be expensive to you.

You can deal with the Party Wall act on a DIY basis, especially if you and your neighbour get on OK and they have no objection. You can download the code of practice that has sample letters in it.

I would be inclined to ring your local building control office to explain what you intend to do. You should be able to deal with it on a notice (if you have to make a formal application).

I worked in local Authority many years ago, Building Control was not bothered about rear addition chimnies built into a corner with a single flue. They only wanted to know when chimney breasts were involved. But, you should not assume that, hence why you give them a ring. They may take a similar attitude if your work is as I described.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back